Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jlol
Senior Contributor

Turned away from hospital... what now?

On Sunday I had a series of huge panic attacks resulting in me self-harming and hyperventilating. I was really worried I would end my life. I went to my doctor who told me to go to hospital straight away. I did and waited there for about 7 hours.

When I finally saw a mental-health team psychologist he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said "we can't really help you here" and sent me on my way. As usual he encouraged me to make an appointment with a private-practice counsellor - something which I have done many, many times without success.

So what now? I'm actually frightened that I might be put in a situation where I could hurt myself, but there doesn't appear to be any help out there.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Turned away from hospital... what now?

Hi @Jlol 

I'm so sorry this happened to you at the hospital. That really isn't good enough. I'm not surprised to be honest. I used to work in community mental health and spoke to participants who would show up to ER, waited for ages, then really not helped. I know a psychiatrist who informed me that certain hospitals are notorious for this. It's really awful. I'm not sure what state you're in but Safehaven is an option where I am. https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/towardszerosuicides/Pages/safe-haven.aspx 

Take care

Hanami

ADRA run a free counselling service.

Hi there @Jlol . I’m sorry to read about your hospital experience regarding your mental health episode. Unfortunately like @hanami said, some hospitals can be like this which is sad and not great to experience. I’ve experienced the same thing at times in certain hospitals in Victoria but I’ve learnt through calling the ambulance service that the service does offer mental health services if you ask to speak to them. I’m not sure where you’re located so this might not be relevant to you. I do have access to a community mental health service that deal with mental health crisis episodes but again, they’re also not the best at times so I’ve learnt to develop my own coping strategies when I become unwell and would prefer to use them first rather than utilise the medical/hospital route unless absolutely necessary.
You could also try calling Lifeline on 131114 in times of need as that service is also good at helping people. SANE also have a list of helplines listed on the forums page that might be able to help you as well.

Good luck and take care!

Judi9877☺️🍀

Hey there @Jlol ,

Have you gotten the chance to read the email that I sent this morning? It has some great resources in there and some supports that you might be able to read/ call into if you wanted to chat, and of course our SANE drop in line number.

You're not alone, we are here for you and sitting with you during this time.

Sending lots of hugs ❤️

Amber22

Hi @amber22 ,

Yes I've read everyone's replies. 

I am aware of Sane's help line and services like Lifeline and have called them before. However, I don't know how they can really help me.

The issue that occurred resulting in me going to hospital was due to such extreme fear that I couldn't breath. This revolved around my partner and how she was behaving towards me. I don't know how calling any line would've helped.

I think (and this feels weird for me to type this) what I was hoping to get out of going to hospital was to get and stay somewhere safe - both safe from what she was saying to me and how I was responding to it (hurting myself). I think in my subconscious I was hoping that the status of "being in hospital" would ease things up as well as give me a break of some sort. I was also hoping to get some guidance of some sort.

But, yeah, anyway. If I had a dollar for everytime someone told me "Just make a booking with a psychologist" as if it were the magical solution to every issue, then I would be richer than Musk.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance