Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ink
Casual Contributor

Always overwhelmed

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading this.

I've been struggling with repetitive burnout for a couple of years now. The time interval between each episode has gotten smaller until I'm now seemingly permanently overwhelmed.

I've previously been diagnosed with BPD and have worked on that for four years with a therapist, but now there are questions about whether I might also have PTSD and/or ADHD. 

I'm very stressed because I had to reduce my work to two days a week due to the burnouts, which means that I can't pay all my rent and bills myself and am relying on cash injections from my partner and mum, which I feel awful about. I'm still really struggling to work those two days though and feel I can't keep them up. 

My partner has been very supportive but I can sense that he is getting overwhelmed by my constant state of crisis, which is why I thought I could reach out here.

I guess I just want to vent and ask if anyone has experienced something similar. How do you keep affording to live when you just can't work? 

I'm applying for jobseeker payments and am hoping my doctor will write me a medical certificate when I see him that will reduce my jobseeking obligations. I can't imagine coping with starting a new job right now.

Thanks team.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Always overwhelmed

Hey @ink Welcome to the forums. 

I can relate to those feelings of being overwhelmed. I just wanted to say you are not alone. 

From what I have read, I believe burnout is quite common for people with ADHD. I have read a lot about this cause I feel it's something the runs in my family. It might be worth exploring more. It's great to hear you have the support of a therapist. 

I will put this thread on ADHD here for you, as there may be something of use. 

More on PTSD here 

BPD recovery here 

Tagging @BPDSurvivor 

Wishing you all the best on your journey 💛

Hi @Paperdaisy, thanks for your reply!

That's really good to know - I had no idea burnout was common for people with ADHD. It's funny because ADHD has never been on my radar, but just yesterday my counsellor mentioned it was a possibility, and then my brother was diagnosed with it on the same day. Maybe it's in my family too.

Thanks heaps for those threads - I'll check them out.

Hi @ink 

While my situation is a little different from yours I do appreciate the feelings of guilt.

I hope that in connecting with formal support that you will find a way through the place you are in. It does help to have support from a willing partner and family. Having said that my therapist ha gently helped me to see that my support network need some support as well. Please don't feel that you need to shoulder this burden alone.

I am impressed by the articulate way you express yourself. I have found this to be invaluable in finding a meaningful way forward. I wish you well in your journey.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance