Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

PocketRocket88
Senior Contributor

Confused and overwhelmed

Hi everyone,

The day has just started and I literally want the day to end already… I woke up feeling overwhelmed by something I can’t explain… I’m overly stressed at something I can’t also describe… I can say I def woke up at the wrong side of the bed… I’m not my usual self… I’m really anxious and abit fidgety… my brain is going million miles an hour and I couldn’t seem to atleast slow it down… My body is so tired and I’m mentally drained… I noticed as well that I easily get agitated and irritated with even just the little things today…  I’m never aggressive person but I feel that at some point today I’ll become one…

the feeling im feeling is overwhelming that it makes me all confused and panicking more than usual… I feel im out of breath that im hyperventilating and so I’m trying to slow my breathing down and it doesn’t seem to be working…

If this post sounds very confusing, you can only imagine how confusing  and frustrating it is to try and make sense of all these in your head…

I need a solution and help coz i feel that this will end badly for myself…

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Confused and overwhelmed

Hi, @PocketRocket88 

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. If I was you I'd cancel whatever responsibilities I have, have a hot shower, get comfy warm clothes on, wrap myself in a big blanket and put some kind of light hearted and soothing show on. Or read a book. 

I don't know your story but I'd also recommend complete sobriety, because substances make this kind of problem very much worse. 

Just remember to breath. Keep breathing. One foot infront of the other. You're nervous system is in over drive and it's effecting your mind and body. 

Get some rest. I know it might not seem like these things will make much of a difference but in your state, today, if I were you I would go into hibernation. To try and let my body rest. 

Agitation and irritability is scary, because you know you aren't like this, it isn't you. Just try to stay calm, breath, count to ten. 

Thinking of you, 

Christheart

Hey @PocketRocket88 

I can see how rough today is feeling and I am glad you have been able to come here and reach out. 

Sometimes, seemingly for no obvious reason, everything feels "off". Recognising that today may be one of those "off" days is important because it also means that it can eventually pass, too. 

Sometimes on those days it can be too overwhelming to try and fix what is happening or find the source of it. Instead, maybe we just have to have the one task to focus on: "it is my job to keep myself safe today". 

Some strategies to help this can be:

• Try to distance your thoughts and actions. Say to yourself, ‘I will wait 24 hours before I do anything’, so you can seek help during that period. 
  • Put any items you could use to hurt yourself out of reach or destroy them. Or ask a trusted friend to look after them. 
  • Do something that has brought you even a small amount of pleasure or distraction before, such as taking a walk, listening to music, taking a hot bath, watching a funny movie, reading or some slow deep breathing. 
  • Get together with others, even if you don't feel like it, so you are not alone. 
  • Reduce drug or alcohol use 
  • Write about your thoughts and feelings. Maybe even draw how they are feeling. 
  • If you have developed a safety plan before, look at this again to remind yourself of strategies and ideas you have written before 

Of course, for immediate assistance please reach out to any of the following:

• Emergency Services: 000
  • Crisis Assessment Team (CAT) or Psychiatric Emergency Team (PET) at your local major hospital
  • Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
  • Lifeline: 13 11 14 

Sitting here with you today. I hope that our Forums community can help you to 'ride the wave' and get through to the other side 💛

I barely got thru work okay today., because of how and way I was feeling this morning ( from the moment I woke up til I got to work,) I decided to take one of my meds before going on shift… in an ideal world, I should be taking a few meds everyday BUT in REALITY, I only take them when I feel like it or I probably need it which I did today but because I haven’t taken it for awhile and might have popped one too many, I started becoming drowsy whilst on shift (which was the side effect when I had too much of it.)… so I tried my hardest to keep myself awake at work.. thank God no one noticed that I was dozing off abit… now my shift has ended, all I can think of is going home and do it again…. That if idea and urge is strong that I am again trying my hardest to resist doing anything that would end badly… Now, I’m sitting with all these things in my head and feeling that urge… just don’t know where to go from here… I don’t wanna go to hospital coz I got work tomorrow plus there will be no solution anyways But I just don’t know how And if I can keep myself safe long enough for work in the morning… I need of some tool or support or anything I should do..

Hey @PocketRocket88  thank you for sharing with us about your concerns, I can hear that you're really worried about these urges, and worried about work tomorrow. Glad you came here so we can sit with you in this. 

I would also suggest giving a crisis service a call if you're really worried, and same with considering hospital as an option if it does get to a really bad point. 

But before it does get to that point, do you have a safety plan that you can look over for some ideas on how to cope? 

Here with you 💜

I do have a safety plan in place but I’m finding it hard to focus on what I have to do and what is written in my safety plan at this moment… my brain is again on hyperdrive and even trying to slow it down is now challenging… I don’t know about you guys but when I’m in this kind of state, everything becomes an effort… even with just the littlest thing is an effort… My motivation to do anything is next to none but to go sit on my arse and ruminate what’s in my head that seemed to be the only thing I seemed to be able to just do right now, which is not really a good thing to do coz more than likely it’ll end badly for me… How do I get out of this state I’m in now and be able to atleast do what’s in my safety plan to just make it til the morning?.,

@PocketRocket88 I can relate to what you're describing, have been there many times myself. It helped me to remember that it is normal. Basically this is what happens when the mind is in panic mode, or survival mode. Literally your prefrontal cortex (the bit of the brain involved with logic, decision-making, forward thinking etc) is in shutdown, and that makes it so much harder to be able to make the choice to do the helpful things. 

First of all, it can help to gently remind yourself that this heightened state will pass. But that also, it does take time for all the adrenaline and cortisol and other chemicals to make their way through your system. That's why sometimes, we do the coping strategy and it doesn't feel like it's working, because it doesn't always work right away. But keep going. 

Slow, deep breaths can and do help - even just to slow the heart rate. Take it one step at a time. Sometimes, even a small change in your environment can help - can you move into a different room, change your clothes, or put on some music, for example? 

I am also logging off for tonight, but I will tag in the next @moderator  to stick by you. 

You can do this 💜

@PocketRocket88 , I'm sorry you are in a bad way 😞

I noticed this, below:

@PocketRocket88 wrote:
I decided to take one of my meds before going on shift… in an ideal world, I should be taking a few meds everyday BUT in REALITY, I only take them when I feel like it or I probably need it which I did today but because I haven’t taken it for awhile and might have popped one too many

And I'm wondering if you would see some improvement if you took your meds every day? I only say this as you've asked many times in this thread for ideas on what to do and for a solution or tool how you can get through...

(If I've misunderstood the nature of your meds and they are only for use in a crisis, please ignore the above)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance