Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lino
Contributor

Unravelling

I'm having a bad time, following an anxiety attack at the beginning of the week I'm feeling incapable of much more than just existing. As usual the attack was triggered by a build up of small stuff. There is a tipping point where I can't get back to reality so I have to ride it out. It is really unhelpful to be told thaI should use coping strategies I have learnt or to calm down or act normally. Even those close to me become angry at my "acting out"

It's so exhausting and isolating to have to drag myself back to reality alone. How do we get those around us to suspend judgement when we heading for meltdown.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Unravelling

Hey @Lino ,

I hear there are some big feelings going on for you at the moment, and certainly a lot happening.

'Unravelling' is the word. Take it slowly. 

I remember my therapy sessions where I was given the analogy of a pressure cooker. The valve releases pressure at regular intervals so as to prevent an explosion.

For us, if we practice the skills at regular intervals, it reduces the likelihood of 'meltdown'.

I'm hear to chat with you if you need an ear,

tyme

Hey @tyme Thank you for your thoughts, I'm taking the pressure cooker analogy to my psych, it explains how I'm feeling exactly. The trick for me would be in making it a well practised daily habit. That would be a lifesaver for me.

Another similar analogy is a volcano @Lino . If, a hole was drilled on the side, and magma slowly leaked out, it would prevent or lessen the likelihood of an eruption.

I've lived a life a rage which left me in a state of despair. I regretted my actions when I was upset. Hence, I practised the skill of 'slow release' to help myself unravel. 

I'm not saying I NEVER get angry, but it may be once a year as opposed to every day.

All the best, tyme

@tyme I hear you and thank you for your thoughts. They are things I will carry forward. It's a relief to hear that you have found a way forward and that there might be one for me too

Yes, there is hope @Lino  - embrace it and run with it. When you feel you can no longer hold on, let others carry you.

We are here to support each other.

Hello @Lino and @tyme 

Hope you are doing a little better Lino.  Maybe they have already discovered some of the neuro sequences that occur, such as cascades, but it takes a long time for these ideas to be sufficiently known in the general population.  Hope your people are decent.

Unravelling ... pressure cooker ... volcano

are 3 great descriptors or analogies for processes that seem to recur in many mental health situations. I have experienced and at times consciously worked with all 3.

images.jpg

download.jpg

qAaqtuur2VRuaTSz2zTVhK.jpg

Sharing pics ... cos they are pretty and because we can. 

Just saying hello really.

Apple

@Appleblossom @tyme 

Thank you again for your thoughts. I'm wondering if volcano, pressure cooker  and cascade describe the same sensations or if they are a little different. I'm thinking that clearly identifying the start of these is the key to halting the unravelling before I unintentionally cause hurt to those close to me?

I'm sure there are similarities and differences to all three @Lino . Yet the underlying principle is there: slow frequent release prevents an unexpected explosion.

Looking forward to hearing how you go when you speak to you pdoc about it 🙂

@Lino I guess the most important thing is to respect your own process and feelings.  The metaphors can be helpful to describe, aspects, but may not fully suit your own unique being and circumstances.

Kind of what @tyme said: "the underlying principle is there: slow frequent release prevents an unexpected explosion."

Just opening up the discussion and reflecting back.  Nothing I posted is meant to be prescriptive.  

Journalling has helped me become more clear.

Take care

Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance