Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

hanami
Senior Contributor

Let's Celebrate Mother's Day!

💝🌺 Let’s Celebrate Mother’s Day!🌺💝

hanami_0-1651802689795.jpeg

Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 8th. Join us in celebrating your mum or that special mother figure in your life. And if you’re a mum yourself, then celebrate YOU! Motherhood can be one of the most rewarding yet challenging roles. As a mum you suddenly become not only a carer and nurturer, but you suddenly become a nurse, teacher, dietician, negotiator, manager…this list goes on. So to celebrate this special day we would love you to share with us a special memory of a time with your mum, mother figure, or of a time as a mum yourself. If you can’t think of one, just tell us what you’ll be doing on Sunday to celebrate. 

While Mother's Day is special for many of us, we most certainly are aware that for many the day may mean grief for the mother we lost, never knew, or of a fractured relationship. There may also be feelings of loss in that you desperately wanted to become a mum but haven’t been able to, or that you have lost a child. Please reach out to us or a support service like Griefline if Mother's Day is difficult for you, or triggers negative emotions.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Let's Celebrate Mother's Day!

I love days spent with just me and my daughter. We live with my folks, so sometimes it’s.,,, doesn’t always feel like I’m a mum cause we all help raise my daughter. But when I smash it on my own, it feels good. So days out just me and her are always nice. Holidays, day trips, movie nights just me and her. 

This Mother’s Day we will go to church. I work a few hours for my church a week and one thing that I really enjoy is being able to put together Mother’s Day gifts for all the mums in my church. I put the finishing touches on this years gifts this morning. My daughter and I may then go out for afternoon tea? 

That sounds lovely @Bow !

It brought back memories of my first daughter and I living with my parents. I often felt like she was their daughter too because we were all there together and if I wasn't around she would go to her nan and pop to ask them to do stuff for her. It was tricky at times! But I loved having her all to myself and going out together on days like Mother's Day. I hope you have a beautiful day with her 💖

hanami 💮

Yes @hanami  thats exactly what it is like! A blessing at times…. I love that she has such a beautiful relationship with her Grammy and grandad and that they are there to support me. But I yearn for my own place. To be independent. To have her all to myself!

Yep I hear you @Bow !

I used to feel like I would never be independent and have her all to myself. But I met my husband when she was 5 and he loved her like his own. Now we have four grown adult kids and been married for 25 years. OMG so long lol. And yes it's amazing the beautiful relationship they have with their grandparents when they live with them. My parents are currently holidaying with her, still so close. ❤️

hi @hanami @Bow 

this year mothers day is very difficult as i have a very fractured relationship wtih my mum.

i will be spending the day with 2 of my 3 children and my beautiful 4 yr old granddaughter. a simple day with breakfast together and maybe watch a movie at home.

I only agreed to go to Mother’s Day as my parents and children would be there. My parents had COVID and although they can go out Mother’s Day probably won’t come. While I was in j he hospital with a broken hip my mother in law told me we should be divorced and told my husband I said that. My other in-laws didn’t call to see how I was. We never see them but I have to see them on a day I should be seeing my kids.

Hi

What a great thread!

I love reading all of the responses.

I am a mum to a 10 year old girl and also live with my mum and I can relate to so much of what others have said. I love my mum and very grateful for her guidance and support at times but sometimes as well just want to do it my way hahha. It can be tricky. 

This Sunday I'm going to spend the day with mum and my daughter just at home - we're getting a pancake shake and make mix and just having that for breakky and hopefully a nice cup of tea or two. Going to relax. I bought mum a foot spa so hope she will use it, and will go and get some flowers on Sunday morning. 

I will ring my grandma and my daughters grandma too some lovely ladies in our lives 🙂 I also remember my Nana too. 

Hey @pinklollipop15 

Yes sometimes you just want to do it your way lol. Totally relate! Even after I moved out, got married, had few more kiddoes, my mum couldn't help but offer a little too much advice. I know she meant well but oh boy I had to hold my tongue at times. Sounds like you have some beautiful plans for tomorrow.

hanami 💮

It's tough sometimes isn't it @Purple8 . I hope the day goes okay and not too stressful for you 🌺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance