Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Butternut
Contributor

Traumatic brain injury memory issues

Not sure if this is the right section to write this in? How do people with memory issues from brain injuries remember what therapists have told them? I have seen my current trauma counsellor 3 times now and have no memory of whats been said by her. I take a notepad but get 2 emotionally involved in talking and get too overwhelmed with the thought of writing down aswell. Does anyone have any tips they use to remember whats been discussed?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Traumatic brain injury memory issues

@Butternut  I don’t have a brain injury and I don’t really recall a lot of what is discussed in my therapy sessions with my psychologist. I was discussing this with someone else on here last week, so it may actually be common? I think it’s our brains way of protecting us perhaps? 

I don’t take notes myself, but my psychologist writes down important stuff and if she gives me things to do, I always ask her to write them down for me otherwise I will forget.

@Butternut , with or without brain injury it can be challenging to remember things from therapy, especially when emotions are involved. 

For me, I used to find it helpful by sharing with others what I'd learnt. However, that was more about skills, not my personal issues. So I talk about the skills rather than the actual content of the conversation. I guess naturally, that's how I learn.

Other than writing things down, I'm not sure what else would work...

heya @Butternut, you're definitely not alone in this! I experience a similar thing where I clearly remember, although it's definitely made a difference over time.

If you're feeling very involved during the session, I wonder if you can ask your therapist to summarise the session and any "homework" back to you at the end of the session. Maybe you could just write these down?

You could also ask your therapist to send you an email after your session with these notes. I know a few people who find this really useful ❤️ 

Not sure if these are possibilities for you?

One thing you could do is take along a Dictaphone. You would have to talk to your practitioner, but I think that would be OK confidentiality wise.

That would mean you could just re-listen to each session. If you get the right Dictaphone I am sure it would allow you to download the files to your computer.

Hello.

Remembering what has been said is difficult for me too.  More due to brain electric storms rather than physical damage.

One of the things I sorted with my talking mob was the use of an iPad type thing and a dictaphone app.  It is set up with the person being met at the counselling ( the psychologists had the app and help set it up).  We both give permission at the meeting for it to be recorded and an audio transcriber converts it into text too.  A bit like a hearing impaired transcription thingy.  

Hope it might be something for you too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance