Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Arrow21
Casual Contributor

Hi Hello, I’m new to this forum

I didn’t know that I had any mental health issues until 5 years ago when my whole life just fell apart and then came the diagnoses, every year I gained a new one. Now I joke and say I have more letters after my name then my dr 🙂 I always thought that I was the normal one out of my siblings but no, turns out none of us are. When I was 18 one of my older sisters developed schizophrenia and it was in the early ‘90’s and our families experience in the mental health system was really awful. It actually made me scared of it and I developed my own stigma towards mental health which probably explains that I didn’t know i had any issues until everything got so out of control that everyone else noticed before I did. 

Currently I’m a bit stuck, apparently I need an admission ( I don't want to trigger any one but i’m seeing and hearing things that apparently no one else is and its really scary.) but my dr isn’t working- they are away and I have really really horrible trust issues and I just cant see any benefits of going to hospital if I have a dr I don’t know or trust. And I’m worried that if I don’t agree to a voluntary admission it will end up being involuntary in a public hospital.  i’m just feeling really lost at the moment and I do want to do the right thing for my metal health I just don’t know what the right thing is. If any one has any advice I’d really appreciate it. Sorry to have such an intense introduction 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hi Hello, I’m new to this forum

Hi, welcome, @Arrow21 , it's good you've joined 🙂

I'm sorry you have so many letters after your name! You are in good company, I and a lot of people here do too.

We can't give medical advice here, but I was wondering if you know when your doctor is back?

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them.

You can also type any topic into the Search bar above for threads on that topic. 

I hope you find the forums supportive.

Hi,

Oops I’m sorry I asked for medical advice 🤦‍♀️ I did read the forum rules but I haven’t slept in a few days and slipped up there. Thank you for your kind welcome 😀 @NatureLover 

No worries, @Arrow21 ! It's a fine line, isn't it...we can ask for people's experiences but not what people should do in a medical sense. 

I'm really sorry you haven't slept for a few days 😞 That really sucks. 

I hope it becomes clear to you what is best for you to do. Sending lots of good wishes...

Welcome @Arrow21 🙂 

im sorry that things are feeling so difficult for you at the moment. From my own experience sometimes it is best to trust the medical professionals who are over my care and do what they suggest. They have the medical expertise and my best interest at heart. I get that going into hospital is a really stressful thing, it always stresses me out and I don’t like it at all, but sometimes it’s just what I need. And yes, as you said, it’s best to have a voluntary admission than end up as an involuntary one! 

when is your dr back? 

Hi,

My dr isn't coming back, which is making this really stressful. Usually if my dr had ever suggested an admission I’d agree to go. I think its the unknown that’s really bothering me. But you are totally right it is best to listen to the professionals. Thank you @Bow 

@Arrow21  I'm sorry to hear your doctor isn't coming back! I know how bad that feels, when you've built up trust with a caring doctor and they leave 😞

Sending wishes that you can find a good doctor moving forward...

Thank you @NatureLover 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance