Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

NewHope
Casual Contributor

Hi

Hi everyone hope your all doing well I will introduce myself please be patient first forum I have ever been a part off.

I am a dad to 4 teenage children and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 approximately 12 months ago after one of my children was put under the mental health act and put into hospital due to phycosis than leading to him being diagnosed with bipolar 1. During this process we started to read up and research bipolar. Bells and whistles went off for me and I soon realised with the help of a psychiatrist that I had all the symptoms. This diagnosis has helped me start the journey of understanding that my thoughts actions etc weren’t normal but a symptom of bipolar. I look now and see all the signs and symptoms have been a struggle all my life.

I believe that things really got magnified not only for me but for my other son when my eldest boy at 16 years old could no longer take his personal journey with life anymore. But now 3 years later and being diagnosed we are taking a tragedy and turning into a positive by sharing his story.

Since being diagnosed and medicated my life still has struggles but it is so much better.

I find great joy in being creative I’m a wood carver but my favourite thing is chainsaw carving. I will include a photo sorry will need learn how to reduce size first. I have joined this forum in the hopes of likeminded people that share to in courage others and help in times of need

2 REPLIES 2
Snowie
Community Guide

Re: Hi

Hi @NewHope 

Firstly, welcome to the Sane Forums. I hope within time that you find the forums a supportive and encouraging place for you to be.

Secondly, well done on being the parent of 4 teenage children. I have two teenage children and find it a very difficult job. Having 4 must make it a never ending but rewarding job 😊

I'm sorry to hear about your eldest boy and the struggles his faced. No doubt it will be hard for you and your family, but the fact that you are turning it into a positive is so courageous.

I am glad it has given you some answers in your life and that you can move forward. I totally understand how medication and being diagnosed with a Mental Illness has shaped my life and given me some answers I truly needed. Yes, struggles and up and downs will continue, but at least I am headed in the right direction.

To me this forum has been my saviour.  The members and management have helped me through a lot of bad and scary times, and in return I hope I have helped others through those rough times too. It almost feels like a team effort.

Hoping that you find what you are looking for here. That you can be that voice for people, yet at the same time, find all the support you need. We all need help at times, and I believe knowing that is one step forward in this sometimes rocky journey.

Snowie 🤗💜

hanami
Senior Contributor

Re: Hi

Hi @NewHope 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your personal journey with mental health issues. I look forward to seeing the photos of your creativity through wood carvings. Yay for you! Doing creative things help me a lot too with my mental health. 

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance