Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

JustinSane
Contributor

Need Help? Write away!

I'm new on this site, joined today, I've been battling with depression most of my adult life. I try and express my feelings, thoughts through poetry and short stories, I find it very cathartic, it helps me to rid myself of negative, suicidal thoughts, it's like I am almost my own counsellor.

I will post a poem or story every day, perhaps it may even assist someone, inspire them to pen their own ideas. Feedback more than welcome on my writing.

Good luck on your own, unique journey.

I think too much
And, as such,
Life is, for me,
A tragedy.
I feel even more
And, therefore,
Life is a strain
Replete with pain
There is no cure
I must endure
Seek strength within
Keep up my chin
It's vital I
Hold my head high
Be of firm grit
Never submit
Keep up the fight
With no respite
Myself befriend
Until the End

Have faith, the most rare
Not in God, up there
But faith from within
To believe I'll win

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Need Help? Write away!

Hi @JustinSane 

Welcome to the forums! Love the username, it made me smile!

I'm one of the peer workers here at Sane.

I also love that your write poetry and short stories for your mental health. I used to write all the time but really got out of the habit. If I see you posting lots of poetry you might just inspire me to re-ignite my writing. 

I'll tag some of our lovely members who might be interested in your post and welcoming you. They do an amazing job at welcomes around here.

@Talzy_T @Anastasia  @AussieRecharger  @BPDSurvivor  @Faith-and-Hope  @HenryX  @jem80  @Judi9877  @NatureLover  @outlander  @Shaz51  @ShiningStar  @Snowie  @Hams  @wellwellwellnez  @Zoe7  @Aniela  @Boo13  @CrazyChick  @maddison  @pinklollipop15  @Eve7 @frog @TAB @Meowmy @Dimity 

Looking forward to seeing you around and really looking forward to reading your writing! ✏️📖😀

Hi Hanami, thank you for your kind words. I hope my attempts to express my thoughts may inspire you to once pick up the pen and write, for me, strangely, even writing about my struggles lightens my load and I feel a sense of accomplishment in venting my pain. Good luck. I'm going to post every day in the hope it may console or inspire others.

Hey @JustinSane ! That's incredible insight. Posting each day may release what is going on for you inside, and at the same time, be an inspiration for others!

Small hint, if you'd like to tag others into your post, type '@' in front of their name. That way they will receive a notification.

@hanami , I believe the above post was for you!

Hi @JustinSane 

I love it.. just long enough to make into a 3 minute song.  

Can I ask you when your internal chatter is most prevalent?  Does that internal chatter motivate you to write and do you do it in defiance of your inner critic?

Have you ever seen this ted talk?  I would love to hear your perspective on it given what you have told us.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_my_stroke_of_insight?language=en

@AussieRecharger Thanks for your comments, I haven't seen that TedTalk so I'll have a look.  As to your question about the frequency of my thinking, unfortunately there is no time when I am not assailed by negative thoughts, I do get some respite during the night, but as an insomniac, that respite is sadly short lived. I’ve learnt to live with them, exercise and writing help. I also meditate and silently repeat mantras to myself, this one I wrote myself, a reflection on our mortality but also on the profound beauty in this mysterious, intricate existence.

Death draws daily nearer

The dies already cast

But it makes life all the dearer

Knowing it cannot last

@tyme Thanks for the tip in replying. Yes what I write helps me immensely to cope. I've tried therapy, mindfulness, neither worked, for me at least and I find that what few friends I had have abandoned me. So as I wrote in the poem I try to befriend and counsel myself, through my writing. Plus I hope it resonates with others who also suffer, to help them see some light in the darkness.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance