Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jlol
Senior Contributor

Does anyone else feel like there's not really any serious help out there?

I've had issues with depression and ADD for most of my life. Over about 25 years I must have seen about 25 different counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists and taken about 15 different types of medications. I've spent hundreds of hours and probably tens of thousands of dollars trying to address my mental health.

I haven't really found anything useful and I think it's just because getting attention from these professionals is so difficult and sparse. I think, for whatever reason, I need consistent attention that's not scattered randomly across multiple months. As it stands now, most psychologists have a month to a month and a half between sessions. I've found that everything almost "resets" between each session and we start all over again.

I've asked many, many times if I can have appointments closer together or even back-to-back but they all refuse. 

It's similar with psychiatrists. I'm about to run out of medication but can't get a new appointment to with my psychiatrist for 2 months, so I'm going to be having withdrawals (psychiatrist said my regular GP could renew the prescription - he can't).

I'm really sick of not being able to get the level of help and attention I need.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does anyone else feel like there's not really any serious help out there?

Hi @Jlol 

That's not right that you can't get your medication until you see your psychiatrist in two months. You shouldn't have to withdraw from it only to start all over again. Can't you get the medication from your GP? Or call the psychiatrist's reception and ask for a repeat script. I'm sure no health professional would want you to come off your meds just because you had to wait for an appt. Pharmacists can also do the script for you if you've had it done there before. Then you just 'owe' them a script once you get it from the psyche or gp. I've done that before no problems. 

Hanami

@Jlol 

Yes. I also feel there is no serious help out there. On the forums, though  if you're too overt they can organise police to visit you. But that isn't any help either... how could it be??

We care about your safety @Kyle1 . We are mandatory reporters so if we can't confirm our members are safe our policy is to call emergency services so they can see if you are ok. If you are not they will take you to hospital for you to receive the care and support you need in a crisis.

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance