Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jlol
Senior Contributor

Life coaches as alternatives to therapists?

Has anyone sought life coaching? How did it go? What was it like?

Traditional counselling for me has not been helpful. It might be good for revealing issues, but not for helping you fix them. I feel I am already aware of my problems and issues but don't know how to get on top of them.

A while back I stumbled upon a YouTube channel called Dry Creek Wrangler School where an older bloke, who I can only describe as a wisened cowboy, calmly talks through life's issues and challenges. I found his practical, calm approach to real-life issues re-assuring and a little useful. No 'exploring feelings' and that kind of thing, just practical and clear advice.

Would life coaching be similar in this respect?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Life coaches as alternatives to therapists?

Hey @Jlol I'm Paperdaisy, one of the peer workers here. I haven't had life coaching before and have personally found counselling to be quite helpful but I'm wondering if you've tried any peer work? Someone who has a lived experience of mental health challenges can support you and share the things that have worked for them, they may or may not work for you. Might be something worth exploring.. Have you seen our guided service? 

Take care 😊

Re: Life coaches as alternatives to therapists?

Hey Paperdaisy,

Yeah I did try that a while back. I had 1 session but they said my issues/conditions were too serious for the level of support they could provide.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance