Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Self care techniques

This is not meant as an attack or to be offensive but so far the methods I have found to help with anxiety etc have been very "feminine". Like I do the 4 in 7 out breathing thing thats ok but I dunno, there isnt a "mascaline" method that I have found. Butterfly hugs, OMG. Tapping is kinda ok, I dont really like the idea of it, it seems silly and not really something I would be comfortable doing in public.

I get "mascaline" is very angry and yelling etc. But surely there is a form of anxiety minimisation etc that a guy could still feel like a guy while doing it. 

I know many will think that I am out of line or I should be comfortable enough in my mascalinity to do what is out there. Generally speaking I am comfortable in my blokieness but these techniques really make me uneasy

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Self care techniques

Thank you for sharing this @ClockFace . As much as it's hard to group techniques into feminine or masculine, I appreciate that that is the way you perceive and describe them. This will help the community better understand what works and doesn't work for you.

I hope others may be able to give you some suggestions.

Have you ever tried progressive muscle relaxation? You tense all the muscles in your body and then consciously relax them. https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/~/media/CCI/Mental-Health-Professionals/Panic/Panic---Information-S...

You can also improve your vagal tone using polyvagal humming or listening to an audio off you tube that shows you how to improve your vagal tone.  It will make you feel calm and centred.  You won't feel anxiety. Polyvagal therapy is relatively new in the past few years but it really works @ClockFace 

Hi @ClockFace 

As a female who has anxiety I have never heard of 'butterfly hugs' I also don't like things too 'girly' either.

I use guided meditation a lot. I normally just go onto u tube and use one from there. There are thousands on there and you would certainly find one that suits you.

I also use some apps you might find helpful. They are 'calm harm', 'smiling mind', 'this is sand' and 'life360'   There are also plenty of apps, so you might find some you like there too.

Hopefully this is helpful for you.

Hi @ClockFace cycling, weight training, stretching, swimming are all good methods to deal with anxiety. They help to get your endorphins pumping and help refocus thoughts. Exercise in general has always been suggested to me by my GP. 

Hey @ClockFace great topic. I know a guy who gets himself a season pass for whale watching and says that works wonders. Also, kick a football, gardening, fishing, punching bag, cycling, bbq, are all a bit more blokey.

Take care 🏊‍♂️🤸🏽‍♀️

@Eve7 

I used to fish and paint fishing gear. I gave up fishing because the back pain got too much and I wasnt very good at it lol. With giving up fishing, I gave up painting. Depression was a motivator too. Maybe after surgery Ill take it back up or at least try charters.

I don’t think it matters too much if you don’t catch anything @ClockFace My h would fish all night in the rain, catch nothing and come home happy as…I’ll never understand fishermen lol. He was happy when he caught some too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance