Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

mishyanne73
Senior Contributor

Expressions of Interest

Hi All,

Sincerely hope everybody is travelling well (or at least reasonably). 

Happy New Year!

I have a writing certificate and have published two books in the past (which were both hard work but awesome experiences).

I’m schizophrenic and some months ago I started toying around with an idea to write a book sharing the experiences of around 6-8 people suffering from the illness.

It certainly won’t be for profit but rather awareness for the illness.

I am wondering if any of you would be interested in sharing your story? You would most likely need to come up with a first draft that I would edit for inclusion in the project. Let me know if you are. 

Have an awesome evening.

Mishy

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Expressions of Interest

Hi @mishyanne73,

That's so cool. I write too. I did a book once called it: My Childhood Made Me Crazy.

Never published it but it's still on my laptop. I have quite a few diagnosises and one psychiatrist did look at schizophrenia for a while but apparently never fully met the criteria or another diagnosis I already had would explain symptoms. 

I'm currently diagnosed with 

Anxiety 

Social anxiety 

Depression 

Panic disorder 

Complex post traumatic stress disorder    (C-PTSD)

and Dissociative identity disorder (DID)

Every so often a psychiatrist will                  re-evaluate and try to change or add something but it's been roughly 5 years since I've been to one and it will be interesting to see what happens when I get sent for re-evaluation again.

Hey I’ll tell you my story and I don’t mind if you use it. I developed drug induced psychosis when I was 23 years old but even when I wasn’t on drugs I still had the voices I stabbed a cop and got put in the watch house for 7 days I thought the rooms were all moving and I thought I was in a giant rubix cube and I remember the olympics was on the tv and I thought I had to do exercises to make the athlete’s do better. I was moved to Brisbane woman’s correctional centre and I was seen by a psychiatrist who was trying to assess if I had a permanent mental illness that it had turned from drug induced psychosis to full schizophrenia that was permanent. I Hurt myself while I was in jail because I thought my son was dead. The voices I heard were that of my son being tortured and I thought it was a government conspiracy. I heard voices of my son constantly and I couldn’t stop what was happening to me. They then sent me to a place called the park centre for mental health it was a mental health facility for people who have a mental illness that have done a crime. They keeped trying all these different anti psychotics and mood stabilises on me but nothing worked. The voices were just getting worse and worse and I ended up punching a few nurses in desperation I didn’t know what to do I was suffering really bad. They put me in seclusion and I only had a seclusion blanket no sheets one seclusion pillow a metal toilet bowl and I got sandwiches two times a day because I wasn’t aloud to use cutlery just in case I would use them to harm myself I stayed in that room for a month before they sent me back to jail because I was classed as dangerous. I spent 6 months in jail before they sent me back to the park because I was unwell. They gave me a room and a yard and I stayed there for a year they were still trying me on different medications and they finally found one that started to work for me I’m not aloud to mention what one I got what they call a forensic order and I started to slowly rebuild my life from the tiny little pieces it was I started to get leave to the canteen with two staff members and once I did that with no insident I was taken down to one staff member. After that they sent me to a different ward called Tamborine where I started going out off the grounds to a place called stepping stone a club house for the mentally ill . It’s taken me such a long time to get out of that place . I spent 15 years there before I finally got free and I now don’t hear any voices and I’m in my own unit living my life as a free woman it’s still hard every day to try to pick up the little pieces of my fractured life. I hope this story helps you 

Hi @mishyanne73 

I just wanted to take a sec to wish you well with this project.

I hope it goes forward and you enjoy the process!

Spring1983

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance