Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Crystel
Contributor

What do we believe

that’s a big question? What do we believe it comes in all different forms, religions is a belief, when we believe in someone or something or when we get unwell and believe something is happening when people tell us it’s not. When we believe that we are a certain person . The word belief is a strange word it takes on so many different forms. All I can say is believe in yourself.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What do we believe

I love your post @Crystel its very much the way I think about belief.

Hi @Crystel , @Appleblossom , I agree, I've had lots of people try to tell me my beliefs are wrong, it hurts greatly. I try not to trample on other's beliefs (unless they are trampling on mine). It's especially hard when they use your beliefs as an excuse to call you 'mentally unwell.'

Yes I’m hearing you totally 

Hi @justanotherguy @Crystel @Appleblossom 

People have different beliefs and I agree that we are entitled to believe whatever is okay for us - I believe in God and caring about other people - and that's pretty much what scriptures tell us in the Gospels.

It is meant to comfort us - not to make us afraid. I am tolerant of other's beliefs and mine have been refined through time and study. I agree with you @justanotherguy - trampling on other people's beliefs is just not on - whatever I think about what someone else believes is not their opinion - anymore than my beliefs are theirs.

And people saying that what we believe means we are mentally unwell - wow - that is definitely a no-no, certainly not acceptable.

When I was the mother of young children - I figured out how God expected us to behave toward other people. I felt the most important behaviour I desired from my kids was that they should not hurt one another - and I truly believe that's what God desires from us.

I think religion is unique to everyone - I do understand Biblical doctrine and the tenets of my faith - I don't argue about it - I don't pressure other people - that's respectful behaviour.

Of course - if someone's behaviour is disrespectful, I am likely to speak out. I feel that sometimes that is necessary.

Owlunar

@Owlunar @Crystel @justanotherguy 

Respecting different beliefs is key.

Usually there is a backstory to why people believe things. It seems pointless to me to argue, though there is a bit of a culture of persuasion to get people others to agree, or another to prove others wrong.  I believe the person having a different backstory adds validity to their beliefs even I do not personally agree.  So the dignity of the person simply exists.  I have seen some confusions about all this have terrible psychiatric ramifications for my family.

A lot of the hooha came about due to issues of morality which is such a complicated beast, best left for another time.

@Appleblossom 

Thanks Apple

Let us always consider the dignity of the other person.

As for morality - yes - another time - that's a welcome thought

Owlunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance