Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

BPDSurvivor
Community Guide

DIVERSITY and INCLUSION - Join us here!

Hi Everyone!

As a continuation of this thread Let's Celebrate Harmony Week , initiated by @Peonies , it would be great if we could continue to re-iterate that #EVERYONE BELONGS.

This is a time to share our experiences in our highly multi-cultural land of Australia.

> Were you born overseas?

> Are you a child of parent/s born overseas?

> Do you speak a lanugage other than English?

> Do you come from a mixed cultural background?

If you answered YES to any one of the above, we welcome you to share how your cultural identity/ies has helped or NOT helped in your recovery journey.

It would also be great to hear some of the challenges people/communities from cultural and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD) still face today in 2021.

We also warmly welcome and invite those who have loved ones from CALD backgrounds to share your experiences.

Looking forward to celebrating with you!

BPDSurvivor

31 REPLIES 31

Re: DIVERSITY and INCLUSION - Join us here!

Hello everyone~ 

Thank you, @BPDSurvivor for starting this discussion! I concur with what you have mentioned #everyonebelongs  💕 

I can certainly answer yes to more than one of the questions you have asked Smiley Happy

My cultural identity has both helped AND hindered my mental health help-seeking journey. Cultural stigmas surrounding mental illness and mental health help-seeking still exist within my culture and therefore significantly impact my loved ones' understanding and perspectives towards them. This has, at times, stopped me from seeking support and/or talking about my struggles. 

However, over the years, I started to see this as an opportunity for me to educate and help those around me to understand more about mental health issues and the importance of help-seeking. Normalising the help-seeking conversation has helped me and some of my friends open up about our own struggles and connect with appropriate support earlier 🌸  

Keen to hear others' experiences 🗺️ 💖 
Peonies 

I relate to your post @BPDSurvivor 

Hello @Peonies 

For my family history I think the biggest issue was lack of awareness of how different backgrounds influence each individual around issues of personality and personal growth.  It has taken a lot of work for me to recontruct my parent's circumstances and relates to the histories of their countries of birth.  I can see them as whole people beyond a label, whereas for many years it seemed my work was in understanding the labels.

Hi Everyone!

Thank you @Peonies and @Appleblossom for sharing.

My cultural background stems from the Hong Kongese. From what I know, MI do not exist for these people...there is no such thing. Life is about developing independence, studying hard, working hard, having children and moving on. MI was a taboo. 

In retrospect, I have never discussed my MH with my family. I cannot exactly say this was because it was a cultural taboo, as it may have been a 'BPD trait'. Either way, I remember the hush hush when the husband of one of my cousins was in an inpatient unit due to psychosis....it was such a hushed secret that everyone knew, yet no one knew how to respond. 

This in itself shows the lack of understanding people have surrounding MH. I guess all people, irrespective of culture, need to realise that IT IS OKAY NOT TO BE OKAY. 

Thank you @Peonies for your passion to educate and advocate for the acceptance of  People who are culturally and linguistically diverse.

Looking forward to hearing from all who pass by.

BPDSurvivor

@BPDSurvivor 

I met a lady from Hong Kong living here who was very frank and clear that her mother had serious mental illness.  What you describe is very similar to the atmosphere around mental illness when I grew up, a lot of silence, shame, fear and social taboo.  I think the work hard get ahead mentalities often blame people's failure on their lack of effort.  I also recently had a 'short friendship', with a lady from a better suburb, with less trauma but a very high regard for her own mental illness, as was my husband.  My interest and experience is much broader Surviving in a dog eat dog work is no piece of cake. and I do see the BIO-psycho-social implications. It is important to remember the biological aspects.

Hi everyone! 

@Appleblossom @Peonies and anyone else passing through.

With the current COVID crisis in India, I thought it would be good to reach out to our Indian community members here and share our support.

Australia is home to many Indian immigrants who have family members in India affected by COVID. This  has more than just physical side effects. MH is also a great concern.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share our support, prayers, thoughts and condolences.

To all our fellow Indian brothers and sisters, I encourage you to reach out for support at this time. We are here for each other. If you'd like to share your thoughts, experiences, stories, you're more than welcome.

BPDSurvivor

@Shaz51 @Flying_Hams @Bow 

Please see the above post and tag those you think this is relevant to.

@Snowie @Hamsolo01 @NatureLover @BPDSurvivor @eth @Maggie @Teej @Dadcaringalone @WriterMelb @jem80 @outlander @Shaz51  @Judi9877 @frog  @Faith-and-Hope 

Hi @BPDSurvivor 
Thank you for posting this.

I can't imagine how tough it must be for those with family members in India affected by Covid and those in Australia who can't go back home because of travel restrictions. I am also away from my family because of the current pandemic/restrictions and have found it incredibly difficult. 

I, too, would like to echo what BPDSurvivor mentioned. My thoughts and prayers are with the Indian community through this especially challenging time. We are all here to support you Heart

Sending Love Birds Leaf Heart by Dale Simpson Design | Cardly

Thank you @BPDSurvivor for your response to me, and for raising the issue of current Covid crisis in India.  I have been following it as I have a wonderful Indian physio and am concerned for her family.

Regarding your opening post, I had an interesting experience this week regarding ANZAC day.  I was never raised with any emphasis on it, as my mother was not aware having experienced wartime in a different context.  I was invited by a male to make Anzac bikkies.  I found that interesting as we have been having a lot of gender related conversations, and baking has been traditionally a female role if not done professionally.  It highlighted some of my marginalisation from Australian women.  

Thanks @Appleblossom ,

Your insight into gender issues is very enlightening. I think we often just 'accept' things without considering implications or whether it is 'right'. We see this throughout history, as well as today, where people do things because it's always been done that way. Yet it takes one strong person with a vision to change things.

On a lighter note, hope the bikkies were yum!

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance