Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: The Community Garden :)

@Libra  Yep - mask, goggles and everything!

Bit of hard manual labour today! Digging out the old raised beds because they’re riddled with grass. I’ll set them up again with lasagna filling (compost, pea straw, chicken manure) after I’ve prepped the whole area. Last time I just dug out the area where I was putting the beds and laid some newspaper - I’m going to be a bit more thorough this time, now I know how aggressive the grass is.

Digging out the beds is proving quite hard work as I need to loosen everything with a mattock first, then be very careful about the edges as the metal is not rigid.

8135C768-F29D-4156-B85C-F7775CAD2DB6.jpeg

Looks a big job @Bismuth . 

I should spread compost and plant out a few things.  

I've been more diligent about watering my pots of orchids and some have put on new growth .

Hi @Dimity @CheerBear @Bismuth @Libra @Shaz51 

I have ventured into the garden and planted seeds into a metal tub just over a week ago. Yesterday and today they have just started germinating. So excited!

@Dimity I am pleased to hear that your garlic chives are reshooting. I probably planted way too many garlic chives. I love them though so it won’t matter. It might just turn into a tub full of garlic chives once I pull the carrots and cucumbers out.

@Bismuth I have a raised garden bed exactly like yours only bigger. I bought it from Aldi. I haven’t filled it with soil yet. It’s just sitting, waiting in my living room. Looking forward to getting it out into the garden.

Meggle

what lovely updates @Oaktree , @Dimity , @Bismuth , @Libra 

we have been planting some cuttings from the ixorys , bankok roses , fingers that that they will grow for us 

@amber22 , @FloatingFeather 

@Oaktree @Shaz51 @Bismuth I planted a number of herbs and cottage garden plants a couple of weeks ago and they've settled in well. I still have a few waiting in pots. It's been wet here and I'll need to catch up with the weeds. I'm still undecided about whether to put my new daffodil and hyacinth bulbs in pots or in the garden.

I remember you sharing the great colour range you have in your ixoras @Shaz51 

Do ixora grow from cuttings? 

I will have to give it a go. We have a large bush, but mustn't get enough sun, it doesn't flower well. xo🪴

Absolutely it does, it’s a bit much to explain but if you look it up online it will say what to do @Libra

- your friendly forum landscape gardener 🌻 👨🏾‍🌾

looks great can we have an update? @Bismuth ??

An update from our garden, our strawberry plant is going off its chops, cannot beleive how well it is going for mid April. We’re picking a handful of ripe strawbs every day, saves us lots of money as our little bugs will eat a punnet a day if you let them. Our olive tree is on track to produce stacks.
We still have corn growing. Our herbs
and our fig tree is still producing but I think we’re almost at the end, lots of figs that I don’t think will ripen up.
Tommies are well and truly done but we had an early start. And we’ve just eaten the last of our home grown zucs.

Hi @ArraDreaming . Things are not going very well on my end, going through a bit of a tough time so I’m not logging in much.

As for the garden though, I’ve finally managed to remove one of the raised beds and my Grevillea lanigera is flowering, which is nice.

I’ll come back to the forums when life settles down a bit.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance