Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

justanotherguy
Senior Contributor

Mental illness and the occult

Hi, just looking for advice. I live in a quiet regional area and in the last 6 months or so I have noticed a couple of shops offering occult practices (tarot cards, etc) which seems out of place. But some of my neighbours have taken to displaying skeleton effigies around their units and some strange personal behaviours. I'm wondering, does having occult tendencies lead to mental problems? Do these kinds of people think they can weave spells or otherwise control the world around them?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Mental illness and the occult

Hi @justanotherguy 

An interesting question indeed! I have no idea but I am also curious. I find it interesting these shops you mention have only recently come about. Do you think there is some sort of demand for it? I mean as in, what came first - the neighbours displaying skeletons etc or the shops popping up? I think if my neighbours started these sorts of behaviours I'd be equally intrigued and concerned.  How does it make you feel?

Hanami

Hi @hanami , it makes me feel a bit weird. Honestly I can't remember when my neighbours started showing these items, I think a effect of the medication I was on was to not really notice what was going on around me. But I guess if the shops are there then there must be some kind of demand in the area. It's just strange, I've never really dealt with occult type behaviour before. This area has always been quite conservative.

Yep I can understand it makes you feel weird @justanotherguy !!!

Hi @hanami , yes it's very strange! I'm not sure exactly what these people get up to, but all the TV shows and books I've read seem to indicate these people want to control people and events around them? I mean it's quite strange when you think about it, to cast a spell or make a potion and somehow this will make your life better? I guess I am trying to deal with the business of living my own life the best I can rather than change everyone/everything else.

I mean, I guess if this stuff actually works, it would be easy to find out the next Tattslotto numbers?

@justanotherguy 

Hi, from my point of view Mental Illness is a medical condition, its something we are born with or we develop through trama. I dont think that the occult can cause it though I think people with Mental Illness are prone to being drawn to the occult. 

People with Mental Illness are often excluded by society or social groups, those often find a home or belonging with others not widly accepted in society. However, to a degree the occult is becoming more main stream. 

This said, like myself, hallucinations and delusions have a demonic aspect and they find comfort within a group that recognises these things as real so they are less worried about being "mental" and are accepted for who they are

@ClockFace, I guess it shows we are still social creatures. When we have some kind of internal belief system it's comforting to have people with similar beliefs. I think the crude definition of insanity or psychosis is when you alone believe something, but when a group of people believe the same thing then that makes it much more socially acceptable.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance