Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

wellwellwellnez
Community Guide

NAIDOC Week. This coming week. July 3 - July 10.

With love and respect, I acknowledge the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia, and Torres Strait Islands, and recognize the continuing connection to land, waters and community.

It’s an honour to pay respects to them and their cultures; and to Elders

PAST, PRESENT and EMERGING

First Nation sovereignty, ROCKS ETERNAL!

2022-naidoc-poster.jpg

Timing is everything. As we’re now starting to have serious talks about creating and enshrining the Indigenous voice to parliament, now is the time. Leaving the questions, who, what, where and how?

Hence the brilliance of, this years, NAIDOC theme, “Get up. Stand up. Show up.”

In that spirit, I wanted to share the official event list.

There’s a lot more going on, so I recommend checking your local channels.

You never know what spiritual and civic, even social, experiences might be had over the week.

https://www.naidoc.org.au/local-events/local-naidoc-week-events

Also, here’s a really good link from From the Heart.

It explains the event as well as some of the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgnqSAvQ6Qs

This site has the original “Uluru Statement from the Heart”. (also the graphic interaction is nice)

It's the beginning of an important conversation for all of us.

https://fromtheheart.com.au/explore-the-uluru-statement/

And, because it's just so good,

check out Mitch Tambo reworking “You’re the Voice” in Gamilaraay language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vOlnmTcCzE

9 REPLIES 9

Re: NAIDOC Week. This coming week. July 3 - July 10.

Hi all, proud Arrernte man here living on Wadawurrung country what is everyone doing to get involved in local events?

I took my young boys to our local flag raising and community day - could not believe the amount of people there it was amazing. A first for both of them.

That is really good to hear @ArraDreaming .

Interestingly enough, I put my name on a volunteer list and the organizer just got back to me. Apparently a bunch of other randoms have been coming forward to.

What will you be doing @wellwellwellnez 

I don't even know yet. There's some upcoming stuff and they're gonna let me know where the gaps are. I told them I had "this and that" experience so I could end up anywhere.

I'm actually trying to do some more stuff here on the forums, with a mid-NAIDOC thread. I've been trying to find portals for people to engage on a national level. Ideally advocacy portals to rally around. Best I've come up with so far is to rally around The Statement From the Heart style, Voice to Parliament. Since it's looking like it'll soon come to a referendum. Also looking at Makarrata related materials. The concepts around social healing seem really relevant to the forum in general.

I’d really like to help @wellwellwellnez I am pretty busy but I’m happy to help when I’m on. It helps to tag me if there’s anything I can help because I get an email, I don’t often just scroll here. 

I’m really liking this at the moment 

jk47 is a legend 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=toFdI95IIDY

That's a world of great @ArraDreaming . This clip kinda says where it's at, aye. Maybe it should go up the top of the new thread.

I was also just hearing about JK47 a few minutes ago. The clips really interesting. I've heard the song before, but he has really interesting hand movements. A lot of people use their hands to keep time. His hands are more like fire and sparks around him (as a sort of after effect). Says to me, he's generating the rhythm and sound from his deeper circuits. "In the zone" that sort of thing.

Such great information @wellwellwellnez Well done! I just got back from the red centre and feel so fortunate to have been able to visit such a magical place. Thank you for putting this together and sharing 🖤💛❤️

Im sure you have all heard that uncle Archie roach has passed away, so very sad, what a huge loss but he changed so many people lives
When our baby was born last year we had a friend give us his childrens book as a gift, our boys are a little too young for it but it’s a special keepsake until they are old enough. Special
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance