Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Emilia1
Casual Contributor

bereavement Group check

I am checking if a bereavement group is available in a group setting. I lost my mother to suicide. I recently just Beene realised from the mental health ward as well. I wanted to check if there is a group for losing family member to suicide, thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: bereavement Group check

Hi @Emilia1 , welcome to the forums. I’m really sorry to hear of your loss.

Have you heard of Griefline? https://griefline.org.au/

Hi @Emilia1 

I just wanted to reach out to you to offer you some support 💜

I’m so deeply sorry to hear that you recently lost your mother to suicide and my heart goes out to you at such a painful and distressing time 💜

As I listened to this part of your story, I can really hear how important it is for you to be able to connect with people who share similar experiences to your own and as such, I just wanted to share a few resources with you in the hope that these will help you to find the care and support that you need 💜

The first resource that I thought maybe helpful for you is a service called the Suicide Call Back Service 💜

Basically, the Suicide Call Back Service offers free professional telephone and online counselling to support people who are at risk of suicide, concerned about someone who is at risk or bereaved by suicide.

They are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and you can contact them on:

1300 659 467.

I’ve just included the link to this particular service below, just in case you would like to explore this further:

https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/lost-someone-to-suicide/

The second resource that I thought may be helpful for you, is an organisation called Standby Support After Suicide 💜

Standby Support After Suicide are a national service and essentially they ‘stand by families, friends and associates impacted by suicide, providing respect, understanding and support for their health and well-being.’

Support is provided free of charge and the service is available regardless of when someone’s loss occurred.

I wasn’t too sure what state you live in, but if you click ‘find support’ you can select your state and find some details about the support co-ordinators in your area 💜

I’ve just provided the link to this particular service below, just in case you would like to explore this further:

https://standbysupport.com.au/what-we-do/

There’s also an organisation called Survivors of Suicide Bereavement Support Association (SOSBSA).

SOSBSA is a peer support group for people who are grieving the loss of a loved one through suicide. As such, they provide face to face support groups and an online support group through Facebook 💜

In addition to providing peer support, they also provide a variety of written resources which includes fact sheets, articles, newsletters and links to external websites.

I’ve just provided the link to this particular service below, just in case you would like to visit their website:

https://sosbsa.org.au/

The last resource that I thought may be helpful for you is an organisation called Roses in the Ocean 💜

Roses in the Ocean is an Australian organisation that focuses on lived experience of suicide and as such, one of the supports that they provide is a Peer Care Companion Warmline 💜

Basically, the ‘warmline call-back service which has been created by Roses in the Ocean to provide a safe place for people with a lived experience of suicide to connect with others with a similar lived experience of suicide.’

I’ve just shared the link to this particular resource below, just in case this is something that you feel would be helpful for you 💜

https://rosesintheocean.com.au/what-we-do/non-clinical-peer-led-services/

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @Emilia1 that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them 😊

I hope that this helps you a little bit 💜

Please remember that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Thank you @ShiningStar  for all the groups and website links really detailed to bereavement groups  and website thank you for all the time you put in the response also wishing you a merry Christmas and new year. Thank you for the detailed reply to my post.

@tyme thank you for acknowledging my grieving for my mother 

Hi @Emilia1 

It’s so lovely to hear from you 💜

Thank you so much for your beautiful message - it was my absolute pleasure to share these resources with you 💜

As I sat here thinking about all of the things that have been happening for you, I just ever so gently wanted to reach out to you to see how you’re travelling today?

Please know that I’m thinking of you and I really hope that you’ll continue to reach out to us here whenever you need to 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance