Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Chidog1973
Casual Contributor

Bipolar 1 Mania

• Hi, I have just joined this awesome group. I've had Bipolar 1, GAD and Depression since the late 90's. I was diagnosed with Severe Depression first and had 2 major episodes resulting in ECT which saved my life.  In 2002 I had a severe manic episode resulting in hospitalisation for 8 weeks. In and out of pych wards 6 times. Now I'm 49 and for the past month I have been manic. Saw my GP today and my medication was increased. How have you got through mania in the past and how long will it take to recover? Thanks 👍 
1 REPLY 1

Re: Bipolar 1 Mania

Hi @Chidog1973 

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling through mania. It's great you've had your meds adjusted. That can be a real process so don't hesitate to follow up with your doctor as needed.

I live with bipolar disorder. During mania I try to slow things down as much as possible and maintain a steady low level of activity throughout each day. Do whatever you normally do to rest and relax, especially toward bedtime. I find working gradually back to my normal sleep schedule really helps.

Regarding recovery time, everyone is different and manic episodes will differ in length and intensity for each individual. Recalling how long any similar manic episodes to lasted in your past could shed some light on what to expect.

Have you tried monitoring your moods, symptoms and sleep? It might help during episodes and over a longer term it's likely to reveal emerging patterns. Check out the online mood apps if you haven't yet.

Wishing you patience as you navigate through it all.

Spring1983

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance