Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: 4 (or more!) ways carers can recieve emotional support

That is a powerful post @MockingJay.  Thanks for sharing.

hi                       Seeking  out your network of friends and family is the biggest one for me -- we don`t have any friends , I know our families love us but there is no support which makes it hard , I try to involve family and friends in our lives. sometimes i find it hard to know what to do next .

Hi @Shaz51

I think your experience that you have spoken about with your family, is common for carers. They know they are loved, but at times families don't know how to support.

Some times people want to be supportive, but don't know how or what to do - and then avoid the topic / issue altogether. It can be useful to spell out what support you want to loved ones. Is this something you have tried before?

Hi                      thankyou , not sure want support i want or need from my Family , which makes it hard  for me and them

That is a tough one @Shaz51 - the ultimate question.

You deserve to feel supported, so the challenge is for you to define what 'support' means, feels like, looks like, for you.

Have you engaged with any of the other forms of support on the list?

• Peer support
  • Professional support
  • Self care

If so, do you find them helpful?

Hi                      I have copied them and saved it on my computer to look at and to apply them , thank you for all the support

Tell us how you go 🙂 I know many carers here are yet to engage with support for themselves, so if you can provide any insight into your experience, it would be welcomed 🙂

Dear @NikNik

Yesterday, went to an Arafmi support group. It's got me to feel more engergised and validated.

Dear @MockingJay

I just saw your message .....thank you so much.

Everything you wrote hit home for me. I've been a 'caerr,' proffecionally and at home for years but how you write was something i couldnt write like.

for work...yep,I'm right there. At home though, when I was caring for my son, I was numb some of the time, remembering it all was like...the years did just melt away.

The older I get the more I need to care for myself.

yes, not sure yet , but some insight will be good

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance