Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sez1
Casual Contributor

BPD coping strategies

Hi, I'm a new member and have been diagnosed with BPD 13years ago. I have not had any therapy for the last 2.5years and I'm struggling. 

My question is what do people do to get through each day when they are is crisis mode. I'm waiting to see a professional but I need to get through by myself until then. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: BPD coping strategies

Hi @Sez1 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and be so open. I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now. Is there another health professional you can reach out to while you wait? I hope some others have good suggestions for coping strategies for BPD.

You could speak to someone at our drop-in counselling line (email, phone, or webchat). Here are the details https://www.sane.org/get-support/drop-in-service . How does that sounds?

I also just want to ensure you have some other contacts in case you feel unsafe and need crisis support:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

If in immediate danger: 000 

You could speak to someone at our drop-in counselling line (email, phone, or webchat). Here are the details https://www.sane.org/get-support/drop-in-service 

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Hi @Sez1 

That is such a big question, it depends on where you are at and what works for one person doesn't work for another. 

I get frustrated with the generic DBT skills sometimes but I have found if I tweak them to my personality they can help find the right thing. 

Sometimes when overwhelmed I go onto YouTube and watch the hundreds of relaxation music and nature videos. A lot of beautiful drone footage.

(Just be careful of the Scottish ones with bagpipes - not relaxing!)

One useful site is dbtselfhelp.com/dbt-skills list/

I also find a wide range of guided meditations on Insight timer or calm or something similar can help sometimes. 

Frankly for me it's two fold 1 try and do what I can day to day to minimize crisis events, and 2 do whatever helps when in a crisis that isn't harmful. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes not. Nothing works every time so often it's trial and error. 

I wish I had a magic answer my life would be so much easier but hope that helps. 

Hey @Sez1 Sounds like you're having a hard time at the moment. Well done for reaching out. The SANE guided service could be a support for you while you wait for other professional supports. You can find the details here 

It sounds like you've been dealing with this for quite a number of years. What sorts of things do you usually do to support yourself? 

Thanks gillie1, I appreciate the advice. You made me think about what I use to do. Which was watch some ted talks. So thankyou. I have all the skills there I just am either reluctant to use them at times or forget them.

Hi Paperdaisy, I think I have joined the guided service.
Sometimes doing something for myself can really help. Usually I'm doing everything for everyone and forget to take care of myself. I really need to work out some things that make me happy and then try and do them. Opposite to emotion action. Even if I don't feel like doing them I'll do them anyways.

Welcome, @Sez1 🙂

I'm going to tag @BPDSurvivor  and @tyme  who are very knowledgeable about BPD. 

An important forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Thankyou naturelover.

HI there @Sez1 ,

Welcome to the forums. 

BPD is a pretty 'awesome' condition because it is one where talking therapies can make a huge difference. 

Have you ever looked at the concepts because DBT or CBT? This may be the beginning.

How are you @Sez1 ? I'm thinking about you and wondering how you are.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance