Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JustJstar
Casual Contributor

Bipolar 1 & Borderline … CPtsd

I have been diagnosed in the public inpatient psychiatric ward in Australia as Bipolar 1. Then Borderline was added as a dual diagnosis. Then a private psychiatrist at an inpatient clinic disagreed with the borderline diagnosis and now my clinical psychologist believes I’m suffering from complex pTsd. 

I’m off my meds… not allowed to be prescribed any sedative or addictive medications, and struggling.

I want inpatient care, but the public system doesn’t help and I can’t afford a private clinic. My GP says to present to the ER if things get bad… they are.

I don’t know what to do.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bipolar 1 & Borderline … CPtsd

Hi @JustJstar ...I'm sorry to hear things are bad 😞

Do you trust your clinical psychologist? Or have a regular psychiatrist?

And do you have a gut feeling regarding whether it's cPTSD and/or BPD?

Hey l! Thanks for your reply. I’m retry sure it’s all CPtsd… and has presented as such a wide range of symptoms over the years, that the bipolar and borderline collectively or individually are too limited.

I have a great clinical psychologist. He has been wonderful, but it’s expensive and hard to get a time booked with him. I do trust him very much.

Do you have any similar experiences to me? I’d like to hear if you do 

Hi @JustJstar,

I really hope you are okay. A close family member of mine was diagnosed with the same thing as you many years ago so I know somewhat the rollercoaster you are on. Do you have a family member or a good friend that can support you through this as it is a lot to carry on your own.

I can read the struggle in your post and I agree with you that the public system can be challenging to navigate around getting help / care sometimes. I also agree with what your GP suggested around going to the ER if it's getting too much for you. You need help and support at this time from professionals that are trained in how best to help treat people in such situations.

Please take care and keep reaching out if you need to - we are here for you.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather  

Hi @JustJstar, it is nice to meet you.

As someone who has just gotten out 3 days ago from a mental health hospital, I know a bit of what you are going through. I have just had a change of meds and I will admit that is has helped.

If you need help then please present to the ER. You have got just as much right to get help than anyone else. Whether that be in a private or public hospital, they cannot turn you away. 

I too suffer from C-PTSD

@JustJstar 

I had a similar experience, at first they thought bipolar but I don’t go manic, then another thought maybe bpd but I was sure these did not fit me, then during an inpatient stay a psychiatrist diagnosed cPTSD, after researching I realised he was spot on. So so many things in my life make sense now, I have coped for 40 years until an almost identical incident brought it all back with a vengeance.  I found Insta to have surprisingly digestible info on c ptsd, I search healing complex trauma and read through, not everything fits but I follow the ones who seem to be thinking my thought. It’s so important to find validation. 

I would never write any of these things if I was not anonymous due to shame of anyone finding out. I am struggling with who I am, I recently did a core values exercise, just yesterday I went through it and realised so many of my core values are based in trauma. Ie hard working was trauma based avoidance of criticism that ended up workaholic. 

If cPTSD fits you, recover at your own pace and find compassion for yourself. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance