Skip to main content
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Newbie's Social Club - Come make some friends!

Hey Forumites!! 

This is a space for members new and old, to gather around and help make our newer members feel welcome! 

We've all been newbies ourselves at some point, and can empathise with how incredibly daunting it can be entering a new space. A lot of folks have trouble even knowing where to start, and (even though we're in the midst of improving it all) we know the forums can be a tricky space to navigate - which can make it very difficult for newbies to be able to find their footing! On top of that, joining any established community means being 'the new kid on the block', and seeing others connecting easily with established relationships can sometimes feel like we aren't welcome, or that we need to 'break in' to the conversation somehow. 

Well this space aims to alleviate that pressure and help facilitate some new connections! Whether you're brand new here or you've been here since the very beginning, you're welcome to come hang out, meet some new people, reconnect with others, and maybe even make a new friend!

We will try to tag new members as they join, so help us make them feel welcome! 

Here's today's newest forumites:

@noodles1 

@IndigOverwhelm 

@Sam63 

@Sosad01 

@jsbpd 

@JJll 

@Andora 

@riotgrrl 

@HopeEverlasting 

@Bellle 

Feel free to tell us a little about yourself, what brought you to the forums, and what you're looking for here!

Tagging in our lovely bunch of Community Guides too! They're seasoned members who volunteer their time and energy towards making the forums a safe and welcoming place for everyone. We wouldn't have the community we do without their efforts and their passion! Feel free to reach out to them, they're always quite happy to help guide and support 😊

@Anastasia @BPDSurvivor @Eve7 @Faith-and-Hope @MDT @Judi9877 @outlander @Shaz51 @Snowie @wellwellwellnez @Zoe7 

319 REPLIES 319

Re: Newbie's Social Club - Come make some friends!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm currently working my way through anxiety/depression. Not diagnosed as yet. Trying to get an appointment with a psych which is taking time.

Hoping that through the forums I can find like minded people and ideas to help deal with the anxiety 

Good to have you on board @JJll! Ugh, the waiting game can be soooo gnarly, I hope you get in soon! 🤞 

Hiiii all. 

I'm not new been here for ages. But qant to make you all feel welcome. 

@JJll nice to meet you. It can be so tricky navigating the system. I remember when I first engaged with a psychologist...I thought how crazy are they going to think I am? Can they actually help someone like me? Where do I even start? Etc. 

Wish you well on your journey. 

Hi, I’m new. I’ve been really lonely lately. I’ve been avoiding my friends completely. It’s too tiring to pretend to be optimistic and cheery when I feel awful all the time. Because I’m bipolar, I’m desperate for my friends to think of me as stable and healthy and sensible, so it’s not an option for me to lean on them for support. I’m hoping I can find some social connection here.

Awww @Anetra ,

Welcome to the forums! 

Masking certainly sounds so exhausting and I'm speaking from experience!

You deserve to be yourself. I'm sorry you feel so awful inside. Do you have professionals who can support you?

You may want to say hi to @CousCous @Captain24 @Shaz51 

You are not alone. The Bipolar journey can really be a challenge.

Welcome to the forum @JJll, nice to meet you.

Hi @Anetra, welcome aboard.  I totally understand that desire to hide your feelings from everyone and try to always wear than happy/cheerful mask around them.  I've done that pretty much all my life.  I always did it so that people would want to spend time around me.

Thanks @tyme !! In terms of professional support, I did have the best case manager in the world, but I’m seeing a private psychologist instead now, and I haven’t really warmed to him yet... I’m wondering if I should look for a different psychologist, but my case manager did a handover with my current one, so I feel like I should stick with him as he’s got information about a manic episode of mine which I only have patchy memories of myself, and wouldn’t be able to accurately report to someone new… I’m rambling a bit, short answer is yes, I have a psychologist and a psychiatrist as well!

Thanks @MJG017 ! Yes it’s exactly that! I want people to want to be around me, not think of me as Eeyore. But recently I’ve given up and avoided social contact altogether, because I just can’t pretend 😞 Do you find it easier to be yourself in the forums?