Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Mickey5
New Contributor

Newbi

Hi all, 

I am new to this space and I’m just looking for people who are going through similar experiences. My 22year old daughter has suffered mental health issues from the age of 14. She has been on medication had counselling, and been hospitalised several times. Her real father is not supportive in anyway and never has been. I have been doing it on my own all this time. I finally have a wonder husband now who is supportive but it is still so tiring. She is currently going through a rough patch right now with high suicidal intentions. We have reach out for help in which she is slowly getting but I need help too. I work full time but feel the need of giving up work so I know she is safe. I am sitting here watching her world fall apart, the feeling of not being able to take her pain away kills you inside. 

5 REPLIES 5
tyme
Community Lead

Re: Newbi

Hey @Mickey5 ,

That sounds so tough. I'm hearing you. 

It can be so tiring caring for someone you love.

I hear you have a supportive husband. Do you have any other supports?

Also, is your daughter linked in with services? Is she in a place to want to get better? For me, I struggled for many years, but deep down, I was not ready to make changes. Then after years, I came to the point where I said I really needed help - only then did things work out.

By connecting with the community here, I hope you feel supported. There are many others here who are carers for someone with complex mental health.

You are not alone.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I have just reached out for support for myself. 
my daughter is linked to services and is finally wanting help. Yes it can be very exhausting as well as scary sometimes. I am glad I reached out to this community as I can see so many others who are in the same situation or feeling the same as I do and the support I have read on other threads is amazing 

hi Mickey5 and welcome

im sorry that your daughter is expereincing such intense emotions, your doing a great job as a parent supporting her.
you can access free counselling through carers gateway- are you aware your able to do this?

your also able to access 10 reduced fee psychology sessions if you get a mental health care plan. would this be something you would consider for support for yourself?

please consider speaking to the community mental health team about a social worker or support worker that may be able to care for your daughter for a few hours whilst you are at work. im glad shes linked in with some support services already

Really understand that struggle to work and keep your child safe @Mickey5 so glad you’re reaching out for help … none of us can do this alone 🙌🏽

Appreciate your honesty - my cousin is struggling too - such a tough situation.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance