Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

Physical health issue

I'm waiting on the results of a test to see if i have type 2 diebeties. I haven't had any illnesses apart from mental health issues. I don't know how it is going to impact my mental health. I know it is manageable but I'm still a little afraid.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Physical health issue

Hi Jane Doe,

Im guessing you have weight issues,have a family history, or are taking a medicine such as antipsychotics which was the reason for you/your doctor to suspect the possibility of Type 2 Diabetes?

I hope you wont feel too scared as you might be interested to know that some places offer assisted exercise programmes for patients with Diabetes(or at risk for Diabetes) like the Lift For Life programme linked below:

You might also be interested in the below article regarding Antipsychotic Induced Type 2 Diabetes.

In addition, its been shown that Schizophrenia(dont know if that relevant to you or not) and Diabetes likely share a same Genetic link (Disc1).

http://www.liftforlife.com.au/

http://www.liftforlife.com.au/providers?postcode=&radius=5&suburb=&state=NSW

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/5/1597.full

http://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/schizophrenia-psychosis-type-2-diabetes...

Hi @janedoe2 This is @Strawberry one of the forum moderators. 

It must be difficult sitting with these anxious feelings particularly as you may be feeling apprehensive about what the results will show. 

A good blog that I found about coping with ambiguous times is linked below. 

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/living-with-uncertainty-how-to-cope-during-ambiguous-times-0128154 

Hope you find this article useful. 

Strawberry. 🙂 

Content/trigger warning

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @janedoe2

welcome 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you're waiting on those results. That would be nervewracking. I think waiting for things is always the hardest... at least once you have the results - good or not so good - you have some control over what to do but just waiting is awful!

I really hope that you get good results and things go ok, here listening,

LJ

I have been told i have borderline type 2 diabetes. The results suggested i do another test to confirm because it wasn't a clear result. I am changing my medication due to sideffects and may see a change in the results if they are contributing. I accept that in a month after the new test i may need to start taking medication for type 2 diabetes. I just need to take care of myself either way.

Dont be to worried. Sometimes type 2 diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise.  Your dr will more  than likely refer you to a dietitian and or diabetic educator  to help you navigate your way through this. Medication isnt always used, it will depend on test results. Just look at it as getting healthier. I know its really daunting. Just take it one step at a time. Take care.

Hi @JaneDoe1

I just wanted to drop in and show my support. It looks like members have provided some great support and information.

Also - thanks @ivana for sharing some great resources, especially around assisted exercise programs.

Just keep in mind, any information, advice or suggestions provided is to be explored with your treating doctor 🙂

Hi @janedoe2. As you say, either way your next result comes in you need to look after yourself. If you are only borderline you may well be able to control it with just diet & exercise.

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 6 months before my initial MI diagnosis and I was far from borderline. My fasting BSL was over 25 on that first test!!!

The problem I found when combining diabetes & MI is actually doing what is needed to control BSL levels.Taking meds, exercising & eating right seem so much harder if you aren't feeling mentally right. It's something I have struggled with for well over 15 years now. And I still have my bad times.

Whatever happens, I hope it is something you can get under control quickly.

Take care.

I have been diagnosed type II Diabetes some months ago. I changed Dr's due to change in location. She did a test that showed a normal blood sugar reading. She suggested the drug I changed due to side effects may have affected my blood sugar levels to be effected. I still treat myself with the care needed and am curious if it will resolve itself over time or if it will be a lifetime situation. Either way it is good to be getting answers.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance