Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Medical Terminology

Im studying medical terminology and havign a hard time concentrating on it. i would appreciate any help or advice from anyone studying, has studied or knows about this topic. this is a form of coping for me so any qizzing or any thing would be great

@Queenie

116 REPLIES 116

Re: Medical Terminology

The best way to learn medical terminology @Former-Member is to break the words up into prefixes and suffixes (that's how I learned).

For example: Cholecystectomy can be broken up into chole (relating to gallbladder) and ectomy (removal of), therefore cholecystectomy is removal of the gallbladder. Similarly cholecystitis: chole (relating to the gallbladder) itis (inflammation of). Therefore cholecystitis is inflammation of the gallbladder. 

I hope this way of learning makes sense to you 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yep thats how im doing it @Queenie

Thata how i try to think of it 🙂

It is like learning a new language, good old medical terminology. There are also apps you can downloaded for Apple or Android phones, but I think they are American based, so the spelling will be different for words like Oesophagus (Americans spell it esophagus) and Haematology (they just spell it as hematology). 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yeah i know . Its so weird but i love it
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Queenie my friend was working as a nurse and was saying all these medical terms and it made me want to study it as well. So happy to help when i can too @Scared
Former-Member
Not applicable

Oops @Former-Member

But i didnt continue on with the knowledge like you want to do

We'll be a team of experts in no time (well when it comes to medical terminology anyway) lol! I also was given a copy of old MIMS manual to help me learn the names of different drugs and what they are used for. Makes it easy if you are employed as a medical transcriptionist if you know a little bit of the pharmaceutical names (Brand names as well as generic). 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh cool
What course did you do @Queenie?

I did an advanced certificate which was taught by a retired doctor. It was aimed at people either wanting to be medical transcriptionists, medical receptionists or wanting to go to further study. The course lasted six months but was intensive with assignments and homework each week. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance