Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Gemima
Senior Contributor

Starting to feel concerned

My son is going to his first festival since we had to rescue him from the last one in Byron 2 years ago, he has been drug and psychosis and seizure free since then it was his last hospital stay. I know his mates will all be experimenting with drugs and alcohol, so I calmly breeched the subject to him make sure that you have a good time but make sure that you stay away from the temptation of drugs well he just went off saying I don't do that shot anymore I hate it when you say it,
I responded not very well as I yelled back
saying well every other festival we have had to come and rescue you and after everything we have been through if feel I have the right to say something, he stormed off to his bedroom I told him he can start paying rent,
Basically I lost it and now feel angry with myself hopefully the morning will see happier thoughts, probably not good timing he has been sleeping all arvo and night.
Just needed to spill my thoughts
Pa I'm still so confused about using this forum have fluked how to start a new discussion and have no idea how to look at my past discussions I only know how to get there via my emails ??????
8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Starting to feel concerned

I don't know what to say but you have done all you can to help him.I think it's up to him.There is only so much you can do Gemima.

Thanks I'm just gonna think positively and hope all goes well, I'll be there to rescue him if it's needed thiugh
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Gemima

It can be a bit overwhelming at the start, learning to navigate the forums. you've posted in the section called Enjoying time with others, so you will find your 'thread' in there from now on 🙂 

I would imagine it would be really scary to think about what happened last time your son when to a festival and think about him going to another one, and i'd imagine he must feel a bit of shame/guilt? maybe about it too. But think its understandable that you both/all have big feelings about it! My kids are little and the thought scares me a lot!

I guess as your son must be an adult... there's only so much you can do, which you have done. Will be hoping that things go ok for him and he's able to stay safe. He's lucky to have a mum ready to help him out fi needed,

lj

Thanks for your feedback I guess I must stick to my belief of only looking forward and not to look back and hope for the very best 🙏
Former-Member
Not applicable

I was worried Gemima I was a bit blunt but you can only hope he has learnt from that experience.If not,it is his choice.But yes because you love him you will be there if he falls but if you worry about it it's not healthy for your health or your relationship with your son.I know this is easy to say because of your concerns for his lifestyle such as sleeping pattern (which can be normal for that age) but all we can all do at the end of the day is hope we all will be OK.As someone who worried too much and got sick from it I am talking from my experiences.

I don't worry half as much as i used to and yes I went done hill to ( massive anxiety attacks) I'm way better than u was a year ago. I've learnt so much from MI . And still learning, thanks
Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes can fully relate Gemima,I still let it get to me though.It has both controlled me and changed me.After over 4 years of counseling which I have found absolutely a joke with some idiot with supposed qualifications sitting there with their ego I decided six weeks ago I wasn't getting any more "help".Went to a new doctor the other day who shoved a mental health plan under my nose to sign.I just told him that I have had enough and it wasn't "help".I got another speech on "happiness"and to come and see him weekly.I went out the door feeling more posts and disturbed as all it does is make me feel more vulnerable .I went there for medical treatment as I have severe anaemia which I have had a iron infusion for this week.I can understand the concerns you have with your son as if he goes the wrong way in life it does take its toll and you get lost in the system.

I went to about 8 professionals until I found the one that gelled to. He was the absolute best ha ha, everyone is different but if anyone else told me to imagine. Bloody leave trickling down a stream 😡😡😡😡😡
But I have come 360 and feel really good at the moment,
Remember that life is like a rollercoaster ups and downs fast and slow.
I know that you will get better and I thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. I wish you happiness and good fortune ahead 🙏🙏
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance