Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Study Group!!

Hi all,

I've been a bit out of it recently cause I've had too much study on. But I was just wondering who else out there is studying, what are you doing, how's it going, and let us all know how you're keeping up with your study goals. And see if we can help eachother out?

I'm studying Health and Infectious Diseases. 

And this week I'm reviewing ALL of immunology and all of social perspectives of health as I have mid-semester exams next week. Statistics is going to be ignored for another week or so. (I HATE statistics!!)

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Study Group!!

@Former-Member

i just finsihed my course but you helped me through my course so im happy to help you through yours

hey @Former-Member

hows your study going

want to share anything interesting?

lvoe medicine so ill nevr be bored

Former-Member
Not applicable

Well one of my subjects is done for the semester. Yay! But I didn't go very well in the final exam today. Booo!
Still not feeling very well, took the day of work today. Just couldn't get out of bed. When I don't feel well I get a massive massive problem thinking. I just get 'concrete brain' and I can't understand what I'm reading. So I've scared back the study plans and am doing the bare minimum.
Have another mid-semester exam tomorrow, but it's only worth 10%.
God a huge statistics assessment due in and an oral presentation for immunology due in next week. So I'll be locked in the library all weekend I think. Scarily enough I'm more scared about a 5min presentation than I am about having to produce a 15 page written stats analysis!! And Gosh I hate stats!!!!
How are you @outlander?

OH dear @Former-Member

what topic was that one for?

what are you studying now?

its hard to study when your not feeling well- i understand

i like that 'concrete brain' lol havent heard that one before

argh i hate oral presentations! im confident youll be fine and wow a 15 page report- must be abig topic!?

do you want to amaze me with some facts youve been learning?

and im ok i guess- ive just atarted looking at the mindspot course that starts today

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm normally okay with oral presentations - I used to do public speaking and debating. But after I got sick, for some reason I find it really hard now. But it's only 5min, so that's do-able.
The stats report is HUGE! 50% of my mark and it's such a big subject. And in some respects I find maths and science easier than writing subjects.
Ummm facts I've been learning, would be mainly immunology... let me think......

gosh ive never been good at oral presentation! @Former-Member not even the small 2 minute ones!

wow thats a big mark- i sure youll do fine esp with all your notes and stuff too

Former-Member
Not applicable

No I'm aiming for a low credit (65%) in this subject - that's the best I can hope for. But it puts heaps of pressure on me to get really really good marks in the rest of my subjects (like 80+) in the degree cause I want to apply for a PhD once I'm done. And pressure and me don't mix well. And I'm not *that* smart. Not PhD smart anyways.
Umm something interesting about my study...... intracellular bacteria (bacteria that reside and replicate inside our cells - sometimes immune cells themselves) are eliminated by cellular mediated immunity where a 'helper' T cell (CD4+) recognises antigens presented on a MHCII receptor and 'tells' the T cell that it has bacteria inside of it and to release chemicals to destroy the cell.
Extracellular bacteria are eliminiated by antibodies produced by B cells (plasma cells) that surround the bacteria, and signal it for phagocytosis (immune cells 'eat' the bacteria) and then destroy the bacteria. Also chemcials called complement bind to the surface of the bacteria and build a complex and punch holes in the cell membrane making the cell to explode and die.
Viruses are eliminated either by antibodies outside the cell or inside a cell by cytotoxic cells that process the virus inside of the cell and present peptides of the virus on receptors called MHCI that 'talk' to CD8+ T cells that then come and destroy the infected cell by chemicals leading to cellular death - apoptosis.....
Hmmmm... this is actually helpful for my study. I hope it makes sense!!!!

Yes it does make sense
Soo interesting
It goes with my learning too

Keep it up
I wont get bored of this @Former-Member

Wow our bodies are so complex!

Are these just in the blood itself or the whole body?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance