Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

discussing the the phrase "expected to make a full recovery"

hi everyone,

i dont normally do posts like this but this phrase gets to me.

we hear this phrase so often on the news and in hospitals and for some circumstances its true but in circustances like the london terror attack, abuse victims, violence victims, people who have been in bad accidents and near death experiences they might recover from physical injuries but the psycholgical ones are always gonna be there.

i've been through alot ive been in 2 car crashes, ive been robbed at gun point, sexually abused through out my life since the age of three, ive suffered emotional and physical abused at the hands of those i trusted most. i've heard drs and practitioners use this term frequently in relation to things ive been through but the thing is that i have recovered physically but i am not by any means fully recovered i struggle everyday with psychological issues and i probably never will recover from them.

my childhood best friend took her own life struggling with her psychological demons because it was just to much.

those people expected to make a full recovery after the london attack they might physically recover but its gonna taunt them for a long time after even those who werent injured will be tomented by for months even years and even when it looks like they have "gotten over it" its always gonna be in the back of their mind

i think that a more appropriate term would be "they are expected to recover from their physical injuries" because if your still psychologically injured your not fully recovered.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: discussing the the phrase "expected to make a full recovery"

I think you're right about that term @Former-Member , thank you for posting this, its very thought provoking. I'm sorry you've been through so much.. I wish it were easier 'to make a full recovery' from our 'hidden' traumas.

here with you,

lj

Re: discussing the the phrase "expected to make a full recovery"

@Former-Member - sounds like you have endured more than your fair share of trauma; enough for several lifetimes.

Unlike the physical wounds that can be seen and repaired, those pyschological ones are often invisible and just when you think you have them under control, something happens that rips off the bandaid to uncover a festering mess.

I feel for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance