Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

lvely
New Contributor

I need help

Hi there. This is my first post here and I'm not sure if anyone can help me.

I'm 21 and I've been struggling with BPD, ptsd and other mental illnesses since I was a kid. I quit treatment around 4 years ago but the past year my symptoms have gotten worse and worse. I'm a very broke international student living in Sydney and working on getting a permanent visa. Right now I can only afford food and rent and I only have my partner who's trying to help me but it has been hard for him too.

It has gotten worse to the point i can't function anymore. And I want to get better but I also don't have any resources and I can't afford professional help. I'' trying my best to help myself and take care of my mental health but it's really hard to control how I feel and think and my partner understands some things and tries to help but he's not used to all this and Its too much sometimes.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any support groups I could go to or meetings? Anything i'all appreciate it a lot. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I need help

Hi @lvely,

welcome to the forum. I'm really not sure how you could access help but I'm wondering if you could ring the SANE helpline next week during business hours as they may have ideas. 

Im sorry for how hard it's become for you and commend you on reaching out. I hope you find some support. Wishing you all the best 💜🤗

Hello @lvely I would suggest also to ring the sane helpline even if its just for a chat, but they operate in business hours, if you want someone to talk to now you could ring lifeline 13 11 14, depending on what country you are from you may be able to get some public health assistance through medicare I am not sure if it covers mental health but you could google student visa medicare and you can find out about it, there is this organisation https://www.grow.org.au/, they have free support groups in sydney, also if you are studying at a university or tafe they will have counselors you can see for free, I am not sure about private training organisations but you could ask them, there are also some depression support groups on meetup in the sydney area, there are also good people on this forum that can offer support all be it remotely so keep chatting here, if I can think of anymore i will let you know

utopia
Senior Contributor

@ively. Definitely give SANE a call next week. They should be able to give you the names of some organisations in the Sydney area that could be of help to you.
I'm glad you have the support of your partner. That's really important for good health.

Hi @lvely

Good on your for reaching out for help! There have been some great suggestions here.

I thought I would share SANE's Help Centre number that people are referring to. It's 1800 18 7263

You can give us a call between 9am - 5pm AEST.

As another member mentioned, being an international student, I am assuming there are counsellors at the university or institute you are studying though. Some people have raved about the counsellors / social workers / psychologists they've had on their campus, so I strongly recomment it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance