Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Im no good at titles, but there should probably be a TW (sh)

I haven't self harmed for x a length of time. I'm coming to the realisation I never want to do it again.
The hard thing is I miss it. I mean really miss it.
It was my thing.
I was doing it for a quarter of my life.
You see me and see a self harmer. I'll never be able to erase the horrific scars from years of self abuse.
But I want to be different, I don't want it to be my life anymore.
I'm about to start studying psychology at uni and when I graduate I want to be well and alive. My self harm has nearly killed me on numerous occasions, I want a future now and I desire to help people like people helped me.

I just don't know how to move forward from here, how do I stop the desire to relapse.
This is stupid but it's like I should just give up and show everyone I'm the failure the voices tell me I am, that I don't deserve to be well or that I'll never get there. Has anyone ever been through anything similar? Self savatagebis what I'm good at.
I'll probably never self harm again but I bloody want to.
1 REPLY 1

Re: Im no good at titles, but there should probably be a TW (sh)

Hi @The-red-centaur
Congrats on starting your study soon, that is great! I hope that you enjoy your studies too! I think you would be a great psych, love how you commuicate and write on the forums 🙂
Im thinking that getting to this stage where you have a strong goal, and purpose, as well as the desire to stop SH is a massive step already and I think that you can do this. I dont know if it would help you but do you have a ready plan for when the urges are there to help you get through those times? I do get what you say when you feel like you miss it. As i often feel like i 'need' it to be able to get through... which im so ashamed of too... though its less frequent than a few years ago. When i was at uni (so long ago now) I got into a few bad habits in my third year after a lot of stuff happened but realised that I really wanted to be a good role model for the kids that i would be teaching so gave it all up including smoking but I still often feel like i want a cigarette if i smell one! (not that it even smells good?!) Not quite the same as the SH and that didnt really stop, though there have been periods of time that i havent done it at all... but have always ended up back at it.. i kind of wonder if the urges will always be there like with smoking but its about managing those times better/stronger? im not sure this has been at all helpful for you sorry! Hope you're doing ok today.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance