Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

adams7
Casual Contributor

Newly diagnosed

Ive recently been diagnosed with bipolar and im struggling to come to terms with it. I have such a supportive husband. But i think im still in denial about my mental illness did anyone eles feel like this at the start? Im only 27 and the only support i have is my hubby , physcatrist and nurse . I feel shit about it all ive lost my job lost my car and just want to get better and go back to work 😞 but ive been given 6-12 months off by my physc.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Newly diagnosed

I am 19 and recently diagnosed with bipolar as well. I am still trying to adjust to it too it is hard but you are not alone with this. Take the time off to get used to it and use it to learn more about everything then hopefully doing that will help you get better. Try not to be hard on yourself as well all of this stuff takes time.

Do i have to be on meds for life now is this a lifelong illness Its all new to me being diagnosed i think im still in denial 😞

Hi Adam.  The answer: yes, there is a good chance this is a lifelong illness, but bipolar is very treatable.  You may need to change your life a little, eg being careful of stress and learning to know when you are relapsing, but mental illness, even severe mental illness is not the end of your life. Hang in there.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I was 27 when I was diganoused. My support is my husband as well. I hated the diganous! Hated it!!! I didn't want to accept it. It took me over a year to accept it. That's normal.

May I give you some advice. Don't be hard on your self. We both couldn't control this illness. And be 100% open with your husband with everything you feel and think. After a while you and hubby will be able to telll days before you are going to have an episode and put a safety plan in place so the hit isn't as bad.

All the best
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance