Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Sorry

I've been really unwell lately.
I kinda stopped taking my meds (you'd think I know I need them by now) and let's say what was going was psychosis (even though I'm sure it's real, but that's another argument for another day)
The psychosis was really bad and really scary (still is tbh). I saw my my psychologist today but she doesn't understand it, she says it's just a reaction to how I'm feeling but I was fine until the med thing messed with my head.
No one understands it and says it's not true because I apparently have bpd. No one ever takes its seriously when I talk about the aliens. Or they think I make it up. Or that it's just a symptom of depression (but I'm not depressed anymore)
Anyway I don't know how to deal with my thoughts or the aliens or visions or my emotional reaction to what's going on. Anyone got any tips on how to cope.
2 REPLIES 2
Queenie
Community Elder

Re: Sorry

You shouldn't have to apologise for being unwell @The-red-centaur. I know psychosis all too well and in the beginning, I never had anyone take me seriously either. That doesn't mean what you are experiencing is false however. 

I was originally diagnosed with BPD (as was half the public ward I was in at the time) because I had mixed states of mood. I was refused medications and only offered therapy, which caused me to deteriorate further into psychotic states. After losing my home (winding up homeless), my job (causing me to have no money to secure a home), most of my friendships (everyone thought I was making it up) and self-medicating with alcohol and drugs (just to get out of the horror in my own head); I finally met a psychiatrist who offered a full psychiatric assessment over a number of weeks. He discovered I had schizophrenia (which later became schizoaffective disorder after a manic episode) and I was finally being treated for my condition. I improved leaps and bounds.

The moral of my story is don't take it as a personal attack on you for the "professionals" not taking you seriously about your visions and aliens. I for one believe you @The-red-centaur.

Re: Sorry

@Queenie thanks. I'm sorry you went through that but I'm glad you got through it.
It kinda gives me hope.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance