Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Interview Do's and Don'ts // CLOSED

Hi everyone!

This Friday Ostara's @Debstar will be running a session focusing on interview Do's & Don'ts

There are a range of actions you can take to impress at the interview, and other things you can do that will reduce the likelihood of you getting the job.  We will be discussing the keys to a successful interview, which may help you to acquire the job you desire.

Do you have a job interview coming up or have tips on what to do (or what NOT to do) in an interview? 

jobinterview.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Career Chat // Today // Interview Do's and Don'ts

Hi there,

I’m Debstar here again 🙂

It’s great to be back connecting with you. I am very much enjoying our Friday chats about work related topics. At Ostara, I work with clients with a range of mental health issues to help them build their confidence and skills so they can return to work. And in a previous job, I was a recruitment consultant interviewing people every day.

Today we are covering Interview Do’s and Don’ts.

As already mentioned, there are a range of actions you can take to impress at the interview, and other things you can do that will reduce the likelihood of you getting the job.  We will be discussing the keys to a successful interview, which may help you to acquire the job you desire.

Do you have a job interview coming up or have tips on what to do (or what NOT to do) in an interview? 

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

One Do is when you meet the potential employer at the interview, give them a good solid handshake (solid but not too tight) whilst making eye contact and smiling. It straight away builds rapport, connection and trust, and has them ready to hear more.

In a previous job, I worked with a school principal. May sound strange but I will never forget his floppy weak handshake. On meeting him, I noticed myself shift from seeing him as a strong powerful man to a weak man with low confidence. He could have been strong and confident but my initial impression was otherwise. Interesting the impact a handshake can make.

You could be the best person for the job, but if your handshake gives the impression that you are not, you could be creating a negative impression before the interview has hardly started. So if you feel you need to, practice that handshake, eye contact and smile. Ask friends for feedback if you are not sure.

Hi All,

Thought I would include a few Do's and Don'ts that we cover off in our training courses:

You have probably thought of a lot of these, but there may be a few that you hadn't thought of.

The interview: things you should do.

• Do check your appearance.  Are your clothes clean and neat?  Hair combed?  Well groomed?  Not too much makeup for girls and for the boys try to get a quick trim to sharpen you up.
  • Do make a trial run to the interview place, on a different day but around the same time as your interview will be held.
  • Do arrive early, but no more than five or ten minutes early.  If your friends and family accompany you, they should not enter the building where the interview will be.
  • Do smile and try to appear confident.  Be pleasant and honest with everyone you meet in the office.  You never know who may be part of the decision making process.
  • Do make eye contact with the interviewer, including each member of the group if more than one person is involved.  Shake hands firmly as you are introduced, or as you introduce yourself: “Hello, I am (your name).  It is a pleasure to meet you.”
  • Do stand until you are invited to sit.  Show you have a good energy level by not slouching.
  • Do keep a positive attitude, remembering that by hiring you the employer will benefit from your contribution to their productivity.
  • Do bring a copy of all materials you sent when applying for the job, and any letter or other materials you may have received from the employer.  You should also bring in a list of your references/referees on a separate sheet of paper, including their names, addresses and phone number.

What are your thoughts on these?  Anything you think you shouldn't do?  Sharing your interview stories would be great too 🙂

I really enjoyed reading Debstars tips on job interviews…. Thankyou for taking the time out of your day to do that. Smiley Happy

Some tips and tricks I have found helpful over the years include:

• Learning as much about the company as possible before the interview – I do this by checking out their website, reading their mission statement and about us section.
  • Not chewing gum or have lipstick on my teeth.
  • Ensuring I turn off my mobile phone before entering the offices, and leave it in my pocket or bag not out on the table.
  • I avoid mumbling, or waffling, and I take my time to respond to any questions.
  • I never complain about current or previous employers no matter how ineffectual they are. Badmouthing doesn’t reflect well on anyone. 
  • I try to ask relevant questions, at appropriate times – this shows I am interested
  • I never give sob stories about how much I might need the job, or the money. And I definitely don’t behave in a conceited or over familiar and flirty manner.
  • I definitely do not use foul or inappropriate language.
  • And finally, I find it helpful to follow up with an email after my interview regardless of how good or bad I think I’ve performed. It’s a nice way to reiterate my interest and to thank them for their time.

I hope some of these have been able to help others. And goodluck to those who are on the hunt.

Hi again, thought I would also share the interview:

Things you should not do

• Don’t chew gum or smoke. If you do smoke try not to have a smoke just before the interview as the smell will linger. Bring along a peppermint just to freshen up your breath.
  • Don’t wear strong perfume or colognes.  There may be people in the interview who are allergic to some things. 
  • Don’t argue.  If discriminatory or illegal questions are asked, be diplomatic, polite and tactful. Sometimes this can be hard especially if you start to feel defensive during the interview.
  • Don’t fidget, play with your hair, a pen, or other object, as such nervous habits distract interviewers.
  • Don’t tell the interviewer how many jobs you have applied for or give any information that will make it seem that no one wants to hire you.
  • Don’t talk about how much you need a job.  You will get hired on the basis of your skills not on the basis of your needs.
  • Don’t lie.  Interviews are stressful enough without adding to your stress by worrying about having a potential employer find out you have provided false information.
  • Don’t say anything negative about a previous employer.  If you left a previous job for negative reasons, present something positive, like you left to pursue new opportunities or challenges.  And be prepared to elaborate.

Any other comments before we finish up for the day? 🙂

Thanks @snoopy for all you have shared. Some very useful do's and dont's for interviews. 

My pleasure. Thanks to you for also sharing your thoughts.

Best of luck to those who are currently looking or a contemplating working. 

Have a great weekend, and look forward to connecting again next Friday :).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance