Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Peer Pathways week long consultation - 26th September

Hi @Patchworks  and thank you so much for your responses! Some awesome suggestions you have made, I might draw out a few that really stood out to me 🙂 The idea around a peer buddy as well as a mentor is a great one; multiple points of support and peer learning. You also mentioned role plays, and thats a great suggestion in how we can support those accessing the program to translate what was learnt into practice. @yellowcorgi - tagging you to check out that suggestion for the training plan 🙂

The points around accessibility of work is also really important for us to take into consideration, especially when it comes to finding jobs, the cost and location. Some communities we are offering the pilot in are quite expansive, so we will need to think about accessibility for those who might be in regional rural or remote areas, or where proximity to roles might be a challenge and find local services we can partner with

Your wellbeing plan sound AMAZING by the way! There are suggestions in there I am thinking of embedding into my wellbeing plan too. In particular, having different action plans depending on what you mind need or how you might feel that day is a great idea. I think often we plan for crisis, but just as important is planning for the days when we might need some extra care and support, focus on wellbeing or time out

I really value and appreciate your time and experience here @Patchworks, thank you!

Hi @Little_Leopard,
That is an excellent point that having clear rights and responsibilities, and ensuring every person in the program knows of and feels empowered to apply their rights, is vital to preventing against exploitation. I am wondering if workplace rights and responsibilities, and where to get support if your workplace isn't upholding your rights, is something you feel we should be incorporating into the training?

Thank you @BPDSurvivor, all such important points. In particular, I really think the mention around learning and communication styles is something we should embed - each of us learn and communicate in different ways, and having a clear plan will help to ensure that each person's needs around communication and accessibility of learning is taken into consideration

@Daisydreamer 

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to say. That kind of information would be very helpful and empowering.

😊

@Daisydreamer 

One more thing that is playing on my mind.

In regards to triggers how are we suppose to handle this with clients?

Even the best of us get triggered sooner or later by people around us. It happens to the best of us. I have even seen doctors and psychologists get triggered by their patients/clients. How do we handle this situation in a peer support setting?

I think it’s a good thing to know about in any health care role. So definitely worth putting it into the program.

Hi @Little_Leopard,

That is a great question, and one that even as a peer worker it's something I regularly have to check in with myself. With our volunteers and staff, we provide training and support in identifying potential triggers, self care and managing when they arise. It's something that even the most experienced peer workers can experience, so we also have supports in place including debriefing to support Peer Pathways participants if they are ever triggered throughout the program. We also will support participants to make decisions about what topics they feel comfortable to respond and not respond to- there are some topics that each of us might know are triggers, and can do what we can to set boundaries around those topics to ensure personal wellbeing (our peer workers do this too)

Wellbeing is the number one priority 🙂

@Daisydreamer  That great. Good to know that a part of the program will include these self care elements. We have to stay well if we want to help others.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance