Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Music is Medicine// Tuesday 18th April 2023 5:30-7PM AEST

@OaktreeThanks so much! It's one of my favorites too! 🙂

Well music can be transformative. It can lift your mood, if you listen to the right songs. Pretty much there is a song out there for every emotion/feeling. I think music is important for mental health

Meggle

What role does music play in your mental health? What drew you to pursuing music professionally?

Just as the title of this forum suggests music is medicine. I write it for myself to heal and as a cathartic release, but I also feel as though by sharing what I've been through. I'm also helping other people feel as though they belong. I actually started writing poetry when I was admitted to hospital for anorexia when I was 15 years old. I was there for six weeks and had a lot of time to think . This is when I found writing as a therapeutic outlet. When I was discharged from hospital, I kept writing as a form of expression and eventually it turned into a project that I took seriously. After releasing music for a couple of months I realized how much I loved it, and the people around me were quite receptive to what I was putting out, so I kept going.

So true! It's like there is a soundtrack to life and all of it's ups and downs! @Oaktree 

@tonys @LeChuck @Sophia1 

Come join in? Musical discussion 

Meggle

When I saw that you were the guest for tonight, I listened to some of your music, and then I saw two reels you did where you sang a song about how a woman was treated within the music industry and perhaps more generally. I thought that was really courageous. I am not sure what your own lived experience is, i have lots of different ones, but i think i have adhd and i can relate to some of your lyrics. I can also see how cathartic and helpful writing is likely to be for you.

how do i access

isnt it cool when you do something that feels so right and you receive encouragement to keep going. then it feels like there are some people behind you cheering you on.

Our next question for @Sconstantine; What inspires you to share your lived experiences with mental health through your music? 

@Sconstantine 

I have never heard of you but you are obviously successful, you have released quite a lot of songs. Do you want to tell us a bit about your musical career?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance