Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // 24 Nov, 7pm AEDT // Taking control of anger, and not letting anger control you

Hahaha @Mosaic, it seems with just had a psychic moment where you posted just as I did. You answered my question just before I posted! Smiley Very Happy

Re: Topic Tuesday // 24 Nov, 7pm AEDT // Taking control of anger, and not letting anger control you

Generally at first I was not an angry person at all ... maybe others could see that I had missed out on a lot so might become resentful.

The tipping point to violence is an issue ... and for some reason seems to be getting worse these days ... but some families and cultures negotiate free and quick expression of anger and manage it well ... eg boys playing sport together .... it is denial of one's own anger that can sometimes do more damage than being clear about violations.

I have witnessed and experienced serious boundary violations ... like that incident with my exhusband and my therapist ... where motivations and loyalties remained hidden ... and extremely hurtful things delivered in a lowered voice .... so loud isnt necessarily bad.

@Billamba From my perspective, I think anger is the root of frustration. Frustration is something we think, and anger is something we feel. Frustration can be one way that we experience our anger when we feel we've lost control and we feel we are unable to change the situation we're in (e.g., feeling unable to change the situation you're facing at work).

Ok, we have a few minutes left any final remarks?

And @Mosaic any ideas of services and support availble for anger?

I agree with @Mazarita that depression and anger are related but would be careful about making generalisations as everyone is unique.

Also frustration can be a form of containing and holding anger.

hi            ,          any ideas of services and support availble for anger?

Thank you all for the night, i have got some good insights into my own anger, i will try to put some of it into practice, thank you @CherryBomb and @Mosaic for taking the time to hold these special events, it is much appreciated.

Take care all

Jacques

That's a wrap for tonight's session on anger. It went by quickly. There was so much to talk about. If you'd like to carry on this discussion, remeber that you can't start a new discussion thread.

A special thank you to @Mosaic for joining us tonight to share her thoughts on anger, and of course a huge shout out to our wonderful members who contributed to tonight's conversation.

Thanks so much for having me, and for those who joined in the chatter! It's been a great evening, with so many relevant and interesting points raised.

To answer your final question @CherryBomb: Ask your GP for a referral to see a psychologist, or phone the APS Psychologist Referral Service on 1800 333 497. The psychologist can also link you in with other helpful resources such as self-help books, peer-support groups or anger management courses in your local area.

I recently wrote a SANE blog focusing on anger, which includes 10 helpful tips to better understand and manage anger, as it arises in our daily life. If you'd like to check it out, please click here.

Some additional organisations that you might be interested in turning to for further information and support include:

Relationships Australia: 1300 364 277

Mensline: 1300 78 99 78 

1800Respect: 1800 737 732

Lifeworks: 1300 543 396

While we can gain a lot of ground working on our anger individually, it can be really worthwhile connecting with peer and professional support. We are all better together!

Thanks again,
Mosaic. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance