Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Used2Be
Senior Contributor

Financial impacts.

I posted this on the Carers Forum, but it was suggested that you may also have some thoughts on this topic, so I am reposting the text:
I was just wondering how everyone else copes with the financial challenges of having a mental illness in the family. Currently three of my four family members are on a range of medications for a mix of things: me for depression, my daughter for anxiety and my husband on the really pricey stuff for ptsd. We use generics where we can. We have all used up our 10 medicare psych appts, but are fortunate that we do have private medical that covers us for this, but for both private and medicare there are copayments, plus of course the copayments for my husbands psychiatrist. While we have hit the medicare safety net and are getting smaller copayments, it all adds up, especially the medications. my gp is great and bulk bills. as both my husband and i are in full time work, I dont think we qualify for any additional support. How do you all manage the cost of mental illness?
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Financial impacts.

Hi Used2Be,

It's a good question. I doubt I'm representative either, as I am unmedicated, and both my GP and psychiatrist bulk bill me (all of which I'm very grateful for).

I did see a psychologist for 5 sessions earlier this year which was excellent but was about $500 out of pocket, which is part of the reason I have stopped (as well as the nearly 4 hour return trip to go into the city). This is the thing I grapple with most - the travelling (time and cost) because I live in the country, about 2 hours out of Melbourne. Even driving to my weekly appoinment at my psychiatrist's, which is "relatively" close, into and across town, is about 1.25 hours one way.

The only way I can make ends meet is to combine my grocery and discounted petrol shopping with the trip to my psych - I have had to get very good at managing logistics. I don't know how I would make ends meet without Aldi, where I now do most of my shopping. I live on a DSP and have 3 children, my former partner (and father of my youngest) lives with us. Mostly I make ends meet. Up until about 3 years ago I was really struggling. Now, relatively speaking, I think we are rich; because we have a secure roof over our head.

Best regards,

Kristin

Re: Financial impacts.

Hi all,

I have just been reading this report I found out about on ACOSS' Twitter feed. It is very interesting and has 10 case studies of DSP recipients and their experiences. I thought others might find it interesting too.

What are your experiences? Are you on DSP (if you feel comfortable talking about it)? Can you survive ok, what do you do to make ends meet?

I am on DSP - since 2007. I can make ends meet if I shop mostly at Aldi, don't have much in the way of medical bills (no medication costs) and am careful with the car. Since I have had my own house (last 3 years, thanks to money from my mum's will/estate) I have also been able to save up slowly for things, like replacing my nearly dead car. 

Kind regards,

Kristin

PS Warning some of the case studies may be somewhat triggering.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance