Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

kristin
Senior Contributor

National Review of Mental Health is now out!

Dear all,

I know @Rick @kenny66 @Alessandra1992 @Aonaran @SCORPION  and others may be interested in this.

Here is the link to the report 

And a couple of articles in The Daily Telegraph and Crikey

I haven't read the report yet as I've just seen this, but after reading the DM article my hair just about stood on end. I have psoted a comment (polite) but don't know whether they will actually put it up. Basically I said that I find it strange that at the beginning of the article Prof Fells mentions "Worthwhile, productive reform will take time, and consultation and a collaborative approach between federal and state and territory governments, and NGO and community organisations is essential." Then later on he says "This is ultimately not about us, it is about them." but who is missing from the key stakeholders he mentions who need to work together to "fix" the system? That's right people with lived experience!

Until this changes nothing much will change no matter how much money is thrown at it.

@CherryBomb @NikNik please can you invite Prof Fells, and Jack Heath (SANE CEO) who does "get it", to be joint guests on a Topic Tuesday to talk about this report and implications for the future? Hopefully soon 🙂 Thanks

Kind regards, 

Kristin

1 REPLY 1

Re: National Review of Mental Health is now out!

Another report and another review which will take years of consultation.

All of this was said way back when the Richmond report came out in NSW in the 1970s. I read bits of this report only recently.

I wasn't aware of it but this was the review that pushed MI people out of care onto the streets to look after themselves.

All of the debates by state and federal governments go on about reform and consultation blah blah blah.

Consultation for what.

The policy frameworks and their implementation lack focus and coherence. Service providers and advocacy groups compete for attention and resources, each with their own agendas.

The situation could not be worse.

People with lived experience and ignored, and worse, told what will be good for them without insight into their condition.. Where is the practical help we are told will flow to us like rivers of gold.

Regional Australia is like a prostrate cow, brought low by a lack of sustenance.

There is little money and no cross pollination of ideas between professionals, simply because there are not the large profits in working in small regional towns.

The big cities don't fare much better, with non contiguous policies between the state and the commonwealth and an inability by both service providers and the profession to hone in on a suite of policies actually relevant to people with mental illness.

Professor Fells was head of the ACCC and he of all people should be aware of conflicts of interest and ineffective policy.

Each new doyan of mental health, each new minister and all the other apologists for the non progress in the sector should try and get a handle on what effects MI people actually at the coal face.

But that would actually mean getting your hands dirty.

I saw a chart recently which listed all of the major charity's in Australia and gave the proportion of donations received which were allocated to providing executive support to the various CEOs of these organisations, their big salaries free cars and big offices and so forth.

If you want your hair to stand on end just have a look at those figures.

I don't see anything improving soon. I just think there will be another talk fest with no outcome, just like all the rhetoric around mental health week.

Sorry to be so negative.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance