Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Maloo
Casual Contributor

What help is out there for Bipolar

This is my first forum. I have been told I have Bipolar. Tried all sorts of help, But none is working.Any advise ??

10 REPLIES 10

Re: What help is out there for Bipolar

What have you tried?
What meds are you currently taking?

Hi Maloo, welcome to the forums.  I think you'll find reading other people's posts very useful to get ideas.

How long have you had your diagnosis?  The right form of help is out there for you; sometimes it takes a while or different combinations of therapies and assistance.  Have you hooked up with local mental health organisations?

Every antidepressant. Many doctors. Therapy. You name it.

Just want to live like everyone else

Several years now.

Hi Maloo,
Don't give up on trying, it is a bugger of an illness but there are many people I have met in Grow who have learned to manage their bipolar and in many instances, fully recovered on their own terms of living a life well lived, including improved work, strong careers and strong relationships with friends and family. However, many growers also talk of it taking time, a long time to learn new skills and co-operate with help to bring about sustained change. My experience has been that it is worth investing your time in exploring what may work for you, as with all mental health, what works for me may not work for you...there's a post somewhere else on this forum about the Bipolar babes and they are another peer support group that you may be able to find out more about..good luck and see how you go...

Hi Maloo,

My first forum too.  I have been prescribed many different types of anti-depressants over many years, only to find out that ant-depressants don't work for me, and perhaps even make me feel worse. I have also worked with many different mental health professionals. It wasn't until 15 years after my diagnosis that I found the right combination (for me) of: a no-nonsense doctor, a couple of perceptive and experienced mental health workers, and suitable medication. I also have recently taken a lot more responsibilty for my own health, mental, and physical.

It will be difficult, but be pro-active about finding help and helping yourself.  The harder you work at it, the more likely you'll succeed (like anything else in life).  Building a positive attitude is very important too.

As for 'living like everyone else'...I don't know. I have come to realise that I will never live like everyone else, and that's just the way it it. You are unique, and to other people, possibly/probably 'odd'. Try to make that work for you in an affirmative way.

Do you agree or disagree with the diagnosis you have been given?

Agreed. That being said, I reckon that @chemonro nailed it with stuff. I had stuff going on, and stuff comes back sometimes too..so I work through what's bringing stuff back into my headspace. Sometimes it is self care not being given enough priority and sometimes it is just life..

Tell us all about your stuff
Give us excess of it
It's good to share
with those that care
Behind our efforts
Let there be found
Our efforts!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance