Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Rick
Senior Contributor

this is worth reading

2 REPLIES 2

Re: this is worth reading

Thanks @Rick 

I will definitely read it. You are a wealth of good info!

Cheers,

kristin

Re: this is worth reading

Rather than point out the obvious and much discussed flaws or our MH system please allow me to offer this.  Only 14% of people with a MI engage support services. So they are either care for by family or worse are isolated and care for themselves. <br/> <br/> My opinion, for what it may be worth is a reengagement and engage stategy.  Many people refuse to use support services because of a negative experience that may be based upon poor service delivery or unrealistic expectations. We have recently hit on the idea of a NO WRONG DOOR Policy- love the idea. We are dipping our toes currently into the idea of Engagement officers. Great idea to start with. But to take it further to engage patients in hospital either general or MHUs and canvassing G.P.s who prescibe meds but are not really qualified to do so effectively. Let MI people know that services under a reovery model are a client driven flexible plan based on the idea that regardless of symptomology recovery as a quality of life issue is attainable. Services would of course need to liase with each other regualarly and Primary health care providers will need to do the same. Allowing MI people the time to recover no matter how long it takes. This of course would initally be expensive but less expensive than hospitalisation and in the long term you have a population able to work within the very sector they have been recovering in as peer support workers. The economy would benefit and there would be less reliance on Social Welfare payments. <br/> <br/> In the end though speaking not only as a worker but as some with a 30 years history of severe and persistant MI the engagement TOOL is one that I believe will lead to better mental health for all concerned

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance