Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Hi @Shaz51 

I'm on vitamin D too. I've been on blood pressure meds for a long time.

The gp suggested on the fasting day to have 2 meals, just 1pm and 6pm. I haven't thought it through yet. The dietician has had me having something every couple of hours so it will be a big change. 

Sorry to hear of Mr shaz's sleep disturbance, bad dreams and waking could be a stress thing too. 

@Dimity , with diabetes,  my dietician said it is better eating small amounts often instead of big meals so I am trying to encourage eating less at night but it is hard with Mr shaz 

Yes @Shaz51 that's why I want to check with my dietician 

The original 5:2 diet I think was calory restricted not time restricted 

Yes , @Dimity to lower our cal intake is the important way to do it 

Even with mental health it is not good too go too long without food or drink 

See my dietician tomorrow 

Hey there @Shaz51 @Dimity ,

Great to see you both. 

Maintaining a healthy diet is certainly important for your mental health.

I'm glad to read that you have a dietician you can ask. They will be able to recommend what's best for you considering your holistic needs and circumstances.

Hey @Shaz51 @Dimity ,

Look what I stumbled across. I wasn't even looking for this and it popped up on my screen.

https://www.sane.org/information-and-resources/facts-and-guides/diabetes-and-mental-illness?highligh...

Thank you @tyme 😀

Wondering if to make a diabetes thread on the carers side of the forum or just keep this one And tag carers xx 

That's a great resource @tyme . I hadn't seen it before. The only thing I'd add is the guideline for 2 fruit and 5 veg. 

It's interesting that pretty much the same guidelines seem to apply for both diabetes and heart disease.

hi @Shaz51 ,

mum had an appointment with the dr and diabeties educator, they are going to have to reduce how much ryzodeg they give her from 20 units to 15 units. so some good news for mum, her kidney function is dropping again though, 42%

42 % kidney function is good @Jacques and is her diabetes is being controlled which is good xx

How is her hips ? No sure if this is right 

My kidney function is 19% with one kidney 

My shaz's kidney function has gone down too for some reason,  so they have put him on blood pressure meds 

@Dimity , @tyme 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance