Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

How do you deal with changes / waiting?

Hi All,

I've just returned from hospital and there are some major changes about to happen over the next few months. I am very anxious how to bridge the months without a real direction in my life and how to set goals that I actually keep. I've set goals with my psychologist in hospital, mainly life style goals, but I already feel the pressure (there is no real pressure though).

How have you coped with major changes in your life when you were not well?
9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do you deal with changes / waiting?

Feeling exhausted and isolated.

Being home is great, but it is different.

Glad you are home @Former-Member!  The quicker you get back into things the more sustainable the positive outcomes. i was quite isolated after coming home from hospital for a loong time however it would have been better if i made more of an effort to get and about even though i liked it at home. the feelings in hospital and being at home are different. wishing you well in moving forward with the goals you made with the psychologist or other safe goals you have 🙂

Thanks @JasJac

Not coping. Going for another sleep.

Withdrawing from meds has left me a bit too raw to cope. Unfortunately ripped the script apart of one of the meds I should have tapered off...

Doing all the right things, met friends for coffee, out this arvo, trying to settle at home... just all too much.

I am still trying to get used to being classified mentally ill and now I should be strong enough to battle a discrimination case. I just feel completely f* up but I know I'm better off at home than in hospital. I just feel alone without professional help. All I want to do is curl up and cry, I think I'll do that now. No one will check on me as they think I'm sleeping.

Hello @Former-Member

Thinking of you, it sounds like a really tough time for you at the moment with everything that is going on. I think you are doing so well at trying to cope without your medication on top of trying to make some changes in your life, I can't imagine how difficult it would be sitting in that right now.

How are you feeling today?

Lunar 🙂

Hi @Lunar

Still withdrawing... but getting better. I'm not off meds, only some, back to my normal dosages.

I've been told to focus on self-care only. Not tomorrow, not the future, just one day at a time, just focussing on self preservation until there is actually something, anything, I can do. Having bad thoughts, sometimes really bad thoughts, but won't act on them. I won't let them win and I don't want to traumatise my husband & son any further. Been told to do 5 things for myself for every bad thought I have, that should keep me busy for decades.

I hate living like this, but it's better to be home.

Oh I see, sorry I misread that.

Okay so you're still on your normal doseage and really trying to focus on one thing and at one day at a time which is self-care at this point. That sounds really important and helpful, you seem to be really exhausted having those horrible thoughts so often, I am imagining that self-care is really needed today. What kinds of things are part of your self-care?

Lunar

Hi @Lunar

Getting out of bed in the morning. Eating, I try to cook at night. Having a shower every 2 days. Nap with an alarm on. Sit in the sun. Watch the fish. Watch the birds. Have a coffee. Talk to my husband or friend. Play with my parrot. Play a game on my phone. Meet with my friend on the weekend. Go to all my appointments.

I'm too tired for other fun stuff, so that will have to do for now.

IMG_20170423_014627.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance