Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jynxme
Contributor

Self harm thoughts

Im falling down the rabbit hole again, reality is warping. Most of the time i dont know whats real anymore, im getting really confused wether things have ctually happened or if i have thought/dreamt them. More and more i am plauged by thoughts and voices encouraging and seducing me to self harm. Im trying really hard but my control is quickly slipping. I cant get in to see my therapist for another week and im not sure i can last that long. I am reluctant to call an emerg number as it doesnt feel like an emergency? it doesnt really feel like an emerg untill its been done (for me anyway) mostly i just want to fade away.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Self harm thoughts

Hey @Jynxme 

I'm really sorry you are struggling with this. Well done for reaching out. If you are feeling like self-harming then now is a very good time to call Lifeline (13 11 14) or whichever service you find most helpful. 

Please take care of you. You have been doing so well, listen to that feeling and get help before you hurt yourself. Sending you a big cyber hug if that would be helpful. Heart

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Hey @Jynxme
Maybe you could try a peer support group in the meantime? Voices groups are for people who see, hear, feel or smell things that other people don't..
Or you could try a grow group as the feeling of not being in touch with reality is actually pretty common to quite a few people..
Also, it doesnt have to be an emergency to call Lifeline..
What has helped you get through this phase in the past?
There's some good resources on SH like The Icarus Project and their free downloadable book on self harm .
Depends what you prefer to do..be I g in contact with other friendly minds in a group either online like here or in a peer support group can be truly transformative and builds your confidence..

Hi @Jynxme 

@Alessandra1992 & @kristin have offered some great advice.

As I mentioned in my email, these two organisations can assist you straight away:

Lifeline 13 11 14 or online crisis chat
Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

We also have a great discussion called 'coping box' which contains lists of distractions that other members use when they are going through a tough time.

It's horrible that you're going through this. I know some therapists keep some spare appointments in case of crisis, so I think it's worth calling your therapist just to see if you can get in earlier.

I'm glad you found us here & you reached out. You don't deserve to go through this alone.

Nik

Hello @Jynxme

I hope you stay in touch with us all here- even if your still feeling unwell.

What do you have planned for the week while your waiting on the appointment?

I agree with all the replies here, ring life line at any time- call your doctors back as soon as you can.

Baboo

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice i really appriciate it. 

@Alessandra1992 I hadent heard of the "voices" group before, ill have to check it out.

@Baboo  For the next week im pretty much working and sleeping. im a shift worker so i mainly work afternoons and night shifts, with the occasional morning. 

If you are in Victoria you can search voices vic in irher states you might find them through a Hearing Voices Network

Hi Jynxme

A few suggestions that I use to try and help with these thoughts.

Holding ice cubes on your arm

Eating a chilli

Wear a rubber band and snap it when the urge arises

Scribble with a red pen

Breathing meditation

Relaxing exercise

Distress tolerance accepting emotions. They are just thoughts. You are not your thoughts and you do not have to act on them

Distract

Use senses sight ,hear feel smell and taste. Use this to stay in the present.

Just a few ideas not a solution just a band aid but might help.
Good luck
karen

You can get a little dark and creative with distraction techniques for self harming thoughts.

Many lives ago i was a an art therapist and would work with harmer's on huge grotesque paintings of blood and guts or self portraits that were haunting-written self talk behind them.

This isnt helpful for every one but if drawing or writing out who you are while your experiencing self harming thoughts helps- then go for it. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

😢

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance