Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Peer Pathways week long consultation - 26th September

Some really important points there too about the education system, @chibam

Today's questions

Today, we want to understand more about accessibility and supports that we might need to build into this program to support participants

Question 3: To ensure we can deliver this training across the country, we are developing online training modules. What are the key considerations we need to embed into the training to ensure accessibility? (For example closed captions for videos, visual aids)

Question 4: If you were to undertake this program, what supports would expect to see from SANE?

Also tagging our Community Guides in case you want to add your thoughts to this discussion 🙂 

@Anastasia  @AussieRecharger  @BPDSurvivor  @Faith-and-Hope  @HenryX  @jem80  @Judi9877  @NatureLover  @outlander  @Shaz51  @ShiningStar  @Snowie  @MDT  @wellwellwellnez  @Zoe7  @Aniela  @Boo13  @maddison  @pinklollipop15  @Eve7 

@chibam I briefly read your reply & I'm actually so glad that you bought this up re: exploitation of the unemployed. I incurred many similar experiences as a Centrelink recipient, exactly as you described. Honestly, one of my first thoughts when I read about this program was along the lines you mentioned. Personally, I think you expressed your concerns & experiences eloquently!💜

I would also like to mention one of the greatest work experiences I had through a past unemployment program, & that was working at a Primary School, & gaining experience as a teacher's aide. I loved it so much, that after 6 month completion & further problems securing employment, I contacted the school & asked to volunteer on my own, outside of any program, to help keep me occupied. I also went on to complete Certificate as Teacher's aide at TAFE, that was funded by unemployment programs.

It was something, that suited me, & I had an interest in. ,🤞 this is how Peer Pathways program is organised too!

Exploitation is real & I appreciate your comment. I was not brave enough to say anything.

Thanks @Zoe7 for your comments about your experience within education. My goodness, this must take enormous skill& strength to navigate as a student. The way you described that educators must follow a 'script' - it's like building teachers that are not allowed to teach! The thing that gives me hope & confidence, is that people like you are making it through the system with (or despite!) an awareness - & that itself, may be a more valuable lesson to pass on to future generations, than any curriculum. I had my suspicions that education systems were 'suffocating' in this way. It is really interesting to me, to read your options, first hand. Thanks😊

@chibam @Zoe7 I agree & can relate to many of the points you mentioned. I think these are great & valid concerns. Thanks for sharing.

@@Daisydreamer thankyou for tagging me. I'm looking forward to contributing. I was sidetracked, I thought the other comments were really interesting!

1. What are some of the things you would want to know about peer support before you took the step to apply for paid roles or formal courses?

It can be unexpectedly impactful on own mental health. I have not felt pressure to go beyond my own comfort level, although I was unprepared, for my own mental, psychological, emotional health to be as greatly affected. Additionally, the opportunity in examining own personal health elements & slowly learning to strengthen & build on areas, that otherwise may never have been exposed, had allowed me to grow, in ways I didn't believe possible 6 + months ago. 

Generally speaking, participants don't need to feel stable or confident at beginning. For me, this is developing naturally & at my own pace. I wouldn't recommend anyone who feels emotionally/mentally excessively fragile - Or they need to be aware that this type of role can be triggering. I was probably naive, that I didn't realise this. I thought, I would be  helping people - I strangely didn't make the connection that in helping people, I would be thinking back to my own experiences, or examining concepts that have never been looked at before.

Not sure if this is relevant- however, personally I am unaware how peer workers, work? Can you work only online if that is what was your choice?

Do they/you work on phone lines? Is it things like Being Blue, Life line - or is that a different qualification.

Do some peer workers combine their work life in physical settings & virtual, online settings?

Outside of "community mental health service" I am unaware of types of roles in community that peer workers might gain employment in.

As prospective peerworker, I would want access to information on what my job might look like.

@maddison 

I second your questions about what roles peer workers can do and the modalities. Especially if there are roles outside of community mental health services.

your other questions are also excellent but this one I am very curious about because I never thought of it before you mentioned it.

Question 3: To ensure we can deliver this training across the country, we are developing online training modules. What are the key considerations we need to embed into the training to ensure accessibility? (For example closed captions for videos, visual aids)

Maybe mobile friendly, if that is relevant? I am unable to access all parts of CG training course through my mobile. 

@Daisydreamer wrote:

Hi @chibam,

Firstly I am so sorry to hear the exploitation you have felt and experienced when you have worked with organisations to return to work. It's something that no person should ever have to go through, and I can hear the impact it has had for you Heart 

You raise some really valid concerns from your personal experience, and I can hear the care that you have for those who might be interested to apply for the peer pathways program. I share the care and desire for this to be a safe, inclusive and supportive program. I hope that my response can alleviate some of these concerns. 

@Daisydreamer wrote:

I really value your feedback Chibam, and the courage it takes to stand up for others who have had negative experiences related to return to work or through employment agencies. Every person has a right to feel safe, heard and supported in the return to work process, and for their wishes and personal goals to lead the direction Heart

Thanks, @Daisydreamer 🙂. I think that just knowing that SANE is aware of the potential problems that could occur with a program like this, greatly reduces my concerns that such problems will actually occur.

I hope I didn't ramble/rant too much in getting my point across. 😉

@Daisydreamer wrote:

You are right, not everyone will be interested in peer support that complete this program, and we are working to map out what applicable skills, training and supports we can offer to support people to set their own career pathway (even if that is outside of peer support), and help them to take steps towards their personal goals. It will be a very person-led process. I would be really interested to hear if you think there are any areas outside of peer support that we should also focus on to support those who might decide peer support isn't for them? 

Well I guess you really ought to be ready for anything, since you never know who might wander up to SANE next, nor what their life aspirations might be.

What I will say, though, is that we (i.e. society) are gonna have to start looking at employment in broader terms then "What job do you want?" and/or "What industry do you want to work in?" Because the needs that the person seeks to fulfill with their employment may not be so much tied to a certain job type.

For example, what I want most of all out of a job is to have a close-knit family with my coworkers. I have a loose attraction to the idea of working in the film industry, but I'm confidant I could find happiness in pretty much any workplace, just so long as I'm surrounded by people I love and enjoy (and those feelings are reciprocated, of course). Conversely, if I was assigned to work at a studio, but there was no one there I connected with, that wouldn't do me any good.

But there are all sorts of other ways we need to start thinking about employment in broader terms then just the job type. For example, you might have a guy who just wants to be outdoors as much as possible, and he doesn't really care whether you give him a job as a jackaroo, or a scientist who tests creek water, or a line repairman for the power company; just so long as he's out in the fresh air all day.

These distinctions become extremely important when we start talking about "next-best" scenarios, for people who can't be given their absolute ideal solution. For example, say you had the guy who wanted to be a scientist who ambles about testing creek water all day, but you can't get him that job, so you might be inclined to say: "I couldn't get you that creek water job you wanted. But I got you a job opperating the gas chromatograph in the water board's quality control lab! That's almost as good, right?", where you would be completely missing the point that the guy was more interested in the outdoorsy freedom of the job then the sciency side of it. He might loathe the idea of being cooped up in a lab for the rest of his life. But people like you and I wouldn't be inclined to see the crucial differances between those two jobs; we'd be more inclined to notice their similarities.

So I think we need better ways of determining precisely what people want from employment, rather then just asking: "what job do you want?" Because I think those simplistic questions create a lot of pitfalls in our communication and understanding of one another, and hence lead to a lot of poor outcomes.

@maddison wrote:

@chibam I briefly read your reply & I'm actually so glad that you bought this up re: exploitation of the unemployed. I incurred many similar experiences as a Centrelink recipient, exactly as you described. Honestly, one of my first thoughts when I read about this program was along the lines you mentioned. Personally, I think you expressed your concerns & experiences eloquently!💜

@maddison wrote:

@chibam @Zoe7 I agree & can relate to many of the points you mentioned. I think these are great & valid concerns. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, @maddison ! 🙂 I'm so relieved to hear that someone else can relate to my concerns and shares them! It always worries me, whenever I say challenging stuff, whether I'm just causing difficulties for my own ends, or whether other people also benefit from the things I say. I like to think of myself as a force for a greater good; but it's never easy to tell.

@maddison wrote:

Exploitation is real & I appreciate your comment. I was not brave enough to say anything.

Don't feel bad. It took me a long time, after my ordeals, before I finally felt comfortable talking about them. Even now, there are many things I don't feel safe saying out loud.

Early on, there were a lot of people who told me (in so many words) to shut up or go away, whenever I had unpopular/unusual things to say about mental health, ect. But I've found that, generally, the world has become far more accepting and compassionate towards lived experiance viewpoints over the past few years. And these forums, I've found, tend to be a very safe and welcoming place for alternative points of view.

Lol They must be if I haven't been kicked out yet! 😄

Hey @Daisydreamer ,

1. What are some of the things you would want to know about peer support before you took the step to apply for paid roles or formal courses?

I’d want to know:

- what the job would look like?

- would it accomodate my needs (family, education, health)?

- how I’d know when I’m ready to work in the area of mental health considering I have my own demons to battle? ie at what stage of recovery can I start considering peer work?

- how would the study/role affect my Centrelink payments eg disability pension?

@Daisydreamer 

2. If you have been out of work in past, what has supported you in your journey to seeking employment? What helped? Were there barriers?

Helpful:

- encouragement

- someone to help with/guide me through the paper work eg TFN forms, policies, induction

- someone to check in with each day at first, then taper that

- knowing what to expect eg having a goal always in sight

Barriers:

- inflexible deadlines/expectations 

- negativity

- lack of trauma-informed practices when working with those with MH conditions

- equality is prioritised over equity 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance