Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Peer Pathways week long consultation - 26th September

@Daisydreamer 

Question 3: To ensure we can deliver this training across the country, we are developing online training modules. What are the key considerations we need to embed into the training to ensure accessibility? (For example closed captions for videos, visual aids)

- iPad compatible so accessibility features can be used eg magnification, voice control, dark mode

- multi-modal - text, video, voice, infographics

- limit slabs of text

- dot points

- quizzes at the end of each section to ensure basic understanding

- Goal setting at the beginning of each section eg in this section, you will learn…

- Reflection questions at the end of each section eg. Points/questions/key ideas to discuss with your trainer/mentor

- revisit past content at the beginning of module

- provide real life scenario examples eg anecdotes

- ensure content applies australia-wide and not only in the state where the training is being developed OR provide resources available in each state which trainees can access

@Daisydreamer 

Question 4: If you were to undertake this program, what supports would expect to see from SANE?

Supports from SANE:

- regular check-ins by regular mentor throughout program

- video/audio calls 

- start gently but SANE should prepare is for what it could be like in the real working world. It’s not always rosy - I see the need to help us develop confidence and resilience (over time). Esp important for those with anxiety.

- provide regular constructive feedback

- opportunity to contact a mentor

Thanks so much @chibam I think we share so many similar perspectives on the world. I was literally having a conversation today, that echoes your exact idealogy. For me, having a connection with a mentor who actually cares, is what will create steps forward. A mentor could take many forms, co-worker, employment agency, friend etc. I literally said today that I could work on the back of the garbage truck, if every day I was surrounded by my best friends who I loved. For me, I need that connection & acceptance to grow. Perhaps, if having a trusted mentor didn't directly lead to employment, it would definitely lead me in a forward direction towards helping me understand what my goals are.

I could also very strongly relate to how you described the uneasiness of -putting yourself out there! Wow! Once you start, it seems to take on a life of it's own. I really value support from other members, as I feel like I often mention things that are perhaps not typically mainstream opinions. Maybe it's all in my imagination, I feel like I take a lot of risks with the things I express. SANE is a very accepting & open forum. I feel safe to say things on here, that I otherwise haven't before. I'm still getting used to the idea, that having a voice......is ok!

Thanks @chibam 😊

@chibam  🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Thank you for bringing the exploitative thing up.

exploitation for me is such a massive issue and trigger for me massively. So I’m grateful that you have been the voice for people like me who can’t talk about it.

It’s in the government, charities, religious groups and businesses. Many seek to exploit and use people with disabilities to get free work done. 
we need to make sure that peer work does not become another way for organisations to get free work and make people with disabilities feel like they don’t deserve payment.

This is so important 

Thanks, @maddison  @Little_Leopard .😊 And your welcome!

It's great to know that so many of us are on the same page!

Edit: BTW, @Little_Leopard , your comments about being exploited for free work really hit home for me. I know about that very well; I went through that with my therapist.

The thing is, and this is just from my point of view, that it's not even really about the lost money, time, or effort. For me, the biggest problem is the violation of trust. Because from thereon out, your forever on guard and standoffish towards anyone who might potentially be in a position to help you. No matter how honorable they present themselves, you can't help but wonder: "Are they gonna exploit me, too? Will it be even worse, or more drawn out then the last time?"

I think maybe I've wound up in this position where I come across as "not wanting anyone's help", because I just can't trust the prospect of help, if you know what I mean?

Oh, that last part is really deep @chibam I'm not sure if I've ever considered that before. I will. "Prospect of help" it's a great phrase.

@chibam @Little_Leopard it's almost like our work life defines us. (In the movies, it's the first question they ask, 'oh hello. What do you do?")

Once we have been exploited in our work life, we maybe, accept it as part of our identity. i.e I am less; I don't have a degree; I deserve to be taken advantage of.

And then that kind of thinking, bleeds into other areas of our identity.

It seems, we can lose (or gain!) so much more with experiences that are tied to our employment, than as @chibam mentioned,  appears at face value.

I think that could be a main reason why I like volunteer work too! 

My personal experience with SANE has been one of light speed growth!!😄 I could gush about how amazing & lovely & safe everyone is - & they are!

I agree with all the things @BPDSurvivor answered for question 4. If you were to undertake this program, what supports would expect to see from SANE? I don't have anything to add, because I  couldn't expect to feel more supported from SANE, than I do now 

'speed growth' indeed @maddison ! I vouch for that!

@maddison  Yep society is so obsessed with work. People’s job titles define their worth.

After years of abuse and exploitation many people believe the lie that they should take what they are offered and be grateful.

There can be situations we’re volunteer work is mutually beneficial especially if it’s for skills building and to gain short term work experience. But I think that line could be crossed and abused very easily.

I am grateful that SANE is a safe place though and this is not something I need to worry about here.

I know u do @tyme Thankyou. I'm not there yet but I've made monumental leaps. It must be funny to watch from the other side.

It's not funny whatsoever @maddison ! It's actually so rewarding and gives me a sense of pride 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance